Air testing comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@tmassey After you purchase your nifty new hygrometer with racing stripes, please send me your old school "eye ball."

:) I remember using what was a state of the art hygrometer years ago. It consisted of a box with a fan and a couple of thermometers-one had a little cotton sock that was soaked with distilled water. I say state of the art, because it had a fan-the other units were similar except the thermometers were in a device one swung around to create the airflow necessary for taking the reading.

@couv

a.k.a. - sling psychrometer....

use/used one for years on bridge and tank painting projects..

Ooohh, a new toy!

I have continuous carbon monoxide testing as a ‘no matter what I’m pretty darn certain I’m not breathing gas that can kill me’ facility. But from what you are saying, which agrees with everything I’ve ever read, moisture is the first thing to degrade and therefore the most valuable to test. I have a humidity eyeball, but it’s almost impossible for me to see. I would love a more rigorous method for testing humidity. Can you share some details on the hygrometer that you are using?
Pro H2O Alarm Analyzer - Case Mounted

How do compressors fail to meet Grade E? If we leave water issues aside, is it overheating due to some wear or what? If the intake air is ok, what is the consequense compressor status can make? Oil mist, CO2, CO are the possible problems I guess. Do problems develope gradually? Is it possible to see it in test done every 500 hour?

So this is an additional angle to testing that is usually done by using the calendar. User should follow some other issues between the testing days. I know drain issues so what other problems happen?

How do compressors fail to meet Grade E? If we leave water issues aside, is it overheating due to some wear or what? If the intake air is ok, what is the consequense compressor status can make? Oil mist, CO2, CO are the possible problems I guess. Do problems develope gradually? Is it possible to see it in test done every 500 hour?

So this is an additional angle to testing that is usually done by using the calendar. User should follow some other issues between the testing days. I know drain issues so what other problems happen?
Grade E is a crap standard. Bicycle pumps can meet grade E. However to answer your question...Leaving the water out of it, It's usually because the intake is inside a building resulting in high CO2.

If a compressor fails on oil mist, then that unit has way bigger problems than just failing the test.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom