Air Trim - problem (another)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sevac

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all! I use a Mares Dragon bdc with air trim system. Bought it from my friend after he made app 50 dives and quit diving. Since it was not in use for 2 years I first made a complete service (last year) at authorised seller. Sincse than I have made 50 dives. Using airt trim I have noticed that 1) filling bcd with air is slower and slower and 2) when using exhaust botton on airtrim, the air exhaust completely - when filling bcd exhaust is blocked and is continuoslly letting air out; imagine that happend to me on 120 ft - I had to drope some weights! I allready dismountled the sistem and cleand it in fresh water for hours. It seems that exhaust valve isnt returning its primary position. Air trim sux big-time in my experience!

Can I fix the problem myselfe??? Thanks ALL!

Using airt trim I have noticed that 1) filling bcd with air is slower and slower and 2) when using exhaust botton on airtrim, the air exhaust completely - when filling bcd exhaust is blocked and is continuoslly letting air out; imagine that happend to me on 120 ft - I had to drope some weights! I allready dismountled the sistem and cleand it in fresh water for hours. It seems that exhaust valve isnt returning its primary position. Air trim sux big-time in my experience!

Can I fix the problem myselfe??? Thanks ALL!
I had the same problem of the exhaust staying open when venting though this didn't happen until I had over 300 dives on my BCD. I assumed it was a problem with the vent itself and took it in to be serviced. It turned out that the buttons on the controls were sticking and when I released the vent button it didn't return to the off position. Perhaps you are having the same issue on both buttons. Try operating them and watch to see if they return smothly. It looks like you should be able to open the controls and perhaps ther'e something in there that can you can cleane and grease up. The shop took mine apart and I think they replaced a part in there and then it worked fine. The charge was $52. If you want to bring it to a dive shop then check the Mares site to see where there is a "Mares Lab" certified dealer near you.

Thats exactly the case. The release button sticks and doesnt come back once trigerd. I completley dissassembled the unit, took the release valve out, dumped in fresh water for hours and cleaned it completley. It helped only for a few dives. Imagine that happened with AIR-IN valve...

Perhaps some spray silicon lubricant between the button and the case might help.

Back
Top Bottom