Info Published Standards for SSI, SDI, and PADI "solo" courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Locally, they charge the same $10, whether filling a 6cu or 120cu, and regardless it's starting pressure.
That sucks. All the lds I frequent around here will top off a pony with air for no charge. They just want to see in date hydro and vip. If it's empty, that's a fill charge though.

That sucks. All the lds I frequent around here will top off a pony with air for no charge. They just want to see in date hydro and vip. If it's empty, that's a fill charge though.
That's exactly my experience with my local LDS........ Plus I have multiple HP (3500 psi) tanks and one of them (a 120cf) I use as my "shop" tank for any non diving hp compressed air needs..... like topping off tires on the tractor and truck. My 120HP steel with 3500+ psi will always transfill to a FULL 3000 psi fill on either my 13 or 19 poney.

When I travel to warm water these days I haul my 13cf AL pony, and it's usually back to Bonaire with an unlimited shore diving package for myself and wife bought from Buddy's........ so at the beginning of the trip I'll use 2 or 3 of Buddys tanks to transfill to the pony, then just exchange them for full's.

It all sounds like it should be basic scuba diving skills. The SSI rescue prerequisite is interesting. Isn't the rescue course taught so you can rescue your "buddy?"

When comparing times when a person is diving alone, solo diving is much less riskier than buddy diving because you know you're on your own. Whereas many buddy separation fatalities occur because they weren't mentally prepared to be solo, and consequently panic. Solo diving is a mindset.

I am in the less is more camp and some of the PADI course requirements or recommendations are contradictory to streamlining to reduce entanglement/drag. Plus the requirements/recommendations as stated then require a pocket.

My thoughts...

1. The risk of losing a mask is sometimes parroted with the same level of fear that kids were taught they'd be offered candy by creepers while stopping, dropping and rolling on fire. Leave a back up mask on the boat. In truth, a silicone strap will eventually fail. Replace it with a neoprene hook and loop strap and it will probably last a decade. Even in the event of a silicone strap failure, a properly fitted mask should hold a seal well enough to manage gas expansion or accidental exhaling through the nose, but still allow you to annoyingly finish the dive. If you lost your mask due to a wildlife encounter, I'm pretty sure a backup mask won't be doing you any good. We are solo diving, right?

2. Slate and pencil doesn't make sense. Who are you communicating with when solo diving?

3. Redundant computer, depth gauge and bottom timer is an excessive requirement for no stop diving, IMO. A better skill would be to learn to shoot your SMB from depth, pre-mark the line at ~10-20 ft. and remember you don't need a computer to count to 180-300 seconds if you're so inclined to do the safety stop. Any diver attempting to solo dive should be able to control their ascent without the aid of a computer or depth gauge. Not only can you feel when you're ascending too fast, you can certainly see it based on exhalation bubbles.
number 2... to take note, bearing, heading etc... i always have mine and use it quiet often

number 2... to take note, bearing, heading etc... i always have mine and use it quiet often
It appears you are taking his rant seriously. Lots in it that are misinformed/wrong, you chose just one.

99.9% of my dives are solo. Pushing closer to 1,000. How many solo dives for you?
Why do you ask? How is that relevant to your rant?

I'm just curious if you dive solo or not. If you have actual experience.
Yes, many solo dives, rec and tech. Solo dive instructor for two agencies (but now retired from teaching).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom