Question On Island Dive Op or Instructor for SDI Solo (hopefully with dual PADI Self-Reliant) and TDI Intro to Tec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

-JD-

Eclecticist
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Family is trying to plan a Cozumel trip for December. Everyone else (of the divers) is going to be new or reactivating so it will be a bunch easy shallow dives. I'm thinking, while they "get their feet wet", I might try to get back up on the training horse for a few days. We are probably going to be at a southern AI, so commuting to PDC, PA, or Tulum is not really practical.

Eventually, I want to get to AN/DP, but that would be a dedicated training trip in the future. In the mean time, I definitely want to get the Solo/self-Reliant completed (FWIW I have been diving with a pony or doubles for the last 50+ dives and pretty much approach every dive assuming that I am on my own, while still trying to be a good buddy) and if possible knock out ITT as well.

Does anybody have recommendations for an SDI/PADI shop or instructor that can train at least Solo/Self-Reliant on-island?

Good luck with your search. In 2021 I was looking for an SDI Solo course in Cozumel and asked the question on SB. No bueno. The SDI shops on the island told me at that time they don't teach Solo.

Did SDI solo in Bonaire instead.

@ChuckP might have ideas.

Good luck with your search. In 2021 I was looking for an SDI Solo course in Cozumel and asked the question on SB. No bueno. The SDI shops on the island told me at that time they don't teach Solo.

I'd prefer to do a super-course with both SDI and TDI cards at the end. I don't know if the "stories" about the SDI "Solo" rating being better recognized for allowing solo diving are true or not, but I prefer the rating to be acknowledged without needing to be explained/researched. I'd like to add PADI SR since my understanding is that it covers some broader/extended content.

Looking at the invasion Bonaire trip, but not sure I want to give up the included group dives for a course. If I can't make Coz work, maybe I can go early and get it done before the official start.

Let me know if you decide to do it in Bonaire. I did it the first dive day, got all dives in, and I would recommend the shop I used and the instructor. It also counted as the mandatory check out dive and marine park briefing. E learning I did prior to trip. It was just show up and start diving and doing skills.

Edit: Also the shop I used was both SDI and PADI and I was given both cards.

I forgot to mention earlier ... I had already reached out to Dressel Divers (Operating on Coz at the Iberostar) which is a PADI and SDI/TDI shop, and they say they don't offer it there.

I tracked down your thread - no responses at the time. :(
Apparently there are 2 SDI shops in Cozumel, Deep Exposure which is El Centro and Roberta's scuba shack down south. Neither website mentions teaching SDI Solo.

There may be other SDI Solo instructors in Cozumel?

Looking for a recommendation to take the course on the Island.

Going through the TDI Instructor listing: Deep Exposure has (or had) a TDI/SDI instructor who is rated to teach SDI Solo and TDI ITT. I've just sent them an email... We'll see.

Let me know if you decide to do it in Bonaire. I did it the first dive day, got all dives in, and I would recommend the shop I used and the instructor. It also counted as the mandatory check out dive and marine park briefing. E learning I did prior to trip. It was just show up and start diving and doing skills.

Edit: Also the shop I used was both SDI and PADI and I was given both cards.
Thanks, I will reach out if I can't get this sorted for Coz.

If I recall correctly Roberta's Scuba Shack was an SDI shop. I contacted them in 2021 and they didn't have anyone teaching Solo but that may have changed so I recommend you contact them.

I also emailed Deep Exposure in 2021 an SDI shop, and at that time they didn't offer Solo.

I looked into SDI Solo on Cozumel in 2022, because I specifically wanted to card to just say "Solo" (my other certs are PADI). At the time, Cozumel SDI shops came down to Deep Exposure who wanted to charge me $694 and Roberta's Scuba Shack, whose instructor was away on vacation during my travel dates. Hope OP has more luck. I ended up doing SDI Solo in Florida.

I suspect it would not be difficult to get the PADI self reliant course on Cozumel. SDI solo is a different story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom