Solo diver vs Self-Reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OMyMyOHellYes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
As far as I've learned there are a few agencies offering the solo (SDI) / self-reliaint (PADI & SSI) certification.

Everything I've heard is that they are the same or equivalent courses. But anectdotally I remember reading several posts on SB saying self-reliant divers have been denied access because their card said "Self-reliant" vs "Solo".

If so, I assume this is a prejudice/assumption that self-reliant is learning cert (not unlike boat diver or underwater naturalist) where it would imply some limited amount of education to make one more prepared or competent but not a certification that lends access or privileges like the SDI card would since it plainly says "SOLO DIVER".

A couple of questions.

Do the self-reliant certs recognized by the issuing agencies as a ticket to go jump in by your lonesome and go do your thing or are they just exposure/educational? I ask because when I queried the staff at PADI their response was basically (paraphrased) 'NO. We do not have any kind of solo diving certification. Are you talking about self-reliant diver? We don't offer any kind of solo diver certification.' and continued to want to parse terms and would in no way acknowledge equivalency. Almost, seemingly to me, like their general counsel had put some stern warnings or procedures out there against using or acknowledging the term.

Any knowledge of insurance companies making a distinction?

Any recent evidence(like since 2021) of boat or shoe operators making a distinction?

Or have most folks gotten over the symantic difference?

Just wondering....

You are right that PADI headquarters will play with the words, but the truth is that the Self-reliant certification is indeed a solo certification and is generally recognized as such. The course content is essentially the same as the solo certification. I can't claim to have a wealth of experience with different dive operations, but the ones I do know recognize it as a solo certification.

In those cases, though, you cannot just show up, flash the card, and be allowed to go solo. he certification calls for you having a redundant air source, and if you just have the tank on your back, that won't cut it.

There are shops that do not allow any solo/self-reliant diving from their charters.
My shop allows solo diving, so I would assume our insurance covers it. We are a PADI shop, so we certainly recognize the self-reliant card.
It matters less about what the cert is called, and more about the standards the course follows and what is taught.

you cannot just show up, flash the card, and be allowed to go solo. he certification calls for you having a redundant air source, and if you just have the tank on your back, that won't cut it.
My dedicated dive buddy. Never swims off and leaves me or plays hide & seek:

1690391500532.png

Don't think a solo diver card of whatever flavour is your ticket to freedom. If a dive centre doesn't allow solo diving, a card isn't going to help. As an aside, it's a shame PADI couldn't quite fully commit to a solo certification. As for insurance, every company/policy is different, but they often say to dive within your certification level. I would view a solo certification as useful in this context.

I have seen a few places that will refuse a self-reliant card but not a solo card, but never the opposite yet.

View attachment 794282
You moved quickly after Miss August

:poke:

You moved quickly after Miss August

:poke:

Oh, I've had her for a while now. Talked her into a week at Anthony's Key a little more than a year ago. Fun trip.

I used to use a black AL40 as a pony. I called it Black Buddy. That raised a few eyebrows!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom