Solo diver vs Self-Reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many people know of an instance where a regulator has failed to deliver gas during a dive? I'm sure it's better to have a redundant air source, but lots of solo divers have dove without one, so how big a risk is it really? I haven't heard of a diver with a full tank dying because of a regulator failure?
You're tailoring your question in a very narrow way. "If you squint hard enough and assume X, Y, Z"

The more common risks, requiring redundant air are more likely to be:
  • A frozen regulator, in cold-enough water.
  • Failure to monitor air, either before or during a dive. Or poor dive/gas planning. Essentially unexpectedly using all your air prematurely.
  • Some kind of regulator leak, perhaps an o-ring failure, free-flow, broken hose, improperly tightened connection, etc.
  • An unexpected emergency during the dive causes the diver to need more air, such as an entanglement.
Personally, I had an incident where a regulator hose came loose. Thankfully I was shallow. During the incident it was extremely confusing, due to the massive amount of bubbles. I didn't panic, but I probably did breathe more and my heart-rate probably went up. It did take me a few seconds (about 5) to realize I need to ascend immediately and figure out the problem after.

I personally have never been surprised by my air being lower than expected, however it's not impossible. Lets say, I didn't dive during the winter, and it's my first dive 6 months later. Or lets say I try to retrieve some heavy object, work up a faster breathing rate, and use more air than expected.

What is awesome about having that redundant air, is it effectively eliminates an entire class of potential stresses. Whatever goes wrong, I have whatever is left in my main tank, plus my pony or side-mount. Going back to that incident, and if we pretend it happened at 90ft. Annoying, but no big deal, I've got an extra 19cu or more of air!

You're tailoring your question in a very narrow way. "If you squint hard enough and assume X, Y, Z"

The more common risks, requiring redundant air are more likely to be:
  • A frozen regulator, in cold-enough water.
  • Failure to monitor air, either before or during a dive. Or poor dive/gas planning. Essentially unexpectedly using all your air prematurely.
  • Some kind of regulator leak, perhaps an o-ring failure, free-flow, broken hose, improperly tightened connection, etc.
  • An unexpected emergency during the dive causes the diver to need more air, such as an entanglement.
Personally, I had an incident where a regulator hose came loose. Thankfully I was shallow. During the incident it was extremely confusing, due to the massive amount of bubbles. I didn't panic, but I probably did breathe more and my heart-rate probably went up. It did take me a few seconds (about 5) to realize I need to ascend immediately and figure out the problem after.

I personally have never been surprised by my air being lower than expected, however it's not impossible. Lets say, I didn't dive during the winter, and it's my first dive 6 months later. Or lets say I try to retrieve some heavy object, work up a faster breathing rate, and use more air than expected.

What is awesome about having that redundant air, is it effectively eliminates an entire class of potential stresses. Whatever goes wrong, I have whatever is left in my main tank, plus my pony or side-mount. Going back to that incident, and if we pretend it happened at 90ft. Annoying, but no big deal, I've got an extra 19cu or more of air!
I think that was a response to the preson who prefers a single tank with two independent reg sets over two independent air sources. I agree that redundant air rather than redundant regs is a better system, but each of us needs to detemine what failure mode we think is more likely and mitigate that.

The certs are all for recreational solodiving. The bigger problem is that divecenters don't see a technical cert as a solo cert, but every technical diver must be able to be self reliant or self sufficient. I had a discussion with this, I showed a full trimix and full cave instructor card and then the discussion began. I have a self sufficient cert, but I wanted to open the discussion. At the end, they did not know about technical diving and that every technical diver must be able to close valves, etc. So it was their knowledge.

Also a lot of divecenters really don't know about solodiving. And a lot of normal divers also don't know, they just say: it is dangerous and forbidden because it is written in books 'never dive alone'. I tell every open water student that solodiving is something that can be done if they get more experienced. The reason that I tell it directly that there is a chance that they will see me entering the water solo when I am not teaching.

A lot of divecenters have to learn and to accept that solodiving is safe.

Been on several LOB or Resort trips all over the Caribbean. Sure, the Dive Operator looks at the Self-Reliant / Solo card. I still don't get the go-ahead to go off on my own until their own people have watched. I notice the extra scrutiny setting up, on the first dive, and recovering to the boat. I appreciate fielding some questions on my redundancy.
There have been some of these trips with several TEC / Full Cave divers. No hassles about a Solo card, but they still get the eyes on checkout.
Observation: It's not the card, it's how one dives.

The certs are all for recreational solodiving. The bigger problem is that divecenters don't see a technical cert as a solo cert, but every technical diver must be able to be self reliant or self sufficient. I had a discussion with this, I showed a full trimix and full cave instructor card and then the discussion began. I have a self sufficient cert, but I wanted to open the discussion. At the end, they did not know about technical diving and that every technical diver must be able to close valves, etc. So it was their knowledge.

Also a lot of divecenters really don't know about solodiving. And a lot of normal divers also don't know, they just say: it is dangerous and forbidden because it is written in books 'never dive alone'. I tell every open water student that solodiving is something that can be done if they get more experienced. The reason that I tell it directly that there is a chance that they will see me entering the water solo when I am not teaching.

A lot of divecenters have to learn and to accept that solodiving is safe.
i agree with you.

Been on several LOB or Resort trips all over the Caribbean. Sure, the Dive Operator looks at the Self-Reliant / Solo card. I still don't get the go-ahead to go off on my own until their own people have watched. I notice the extra scrutiny setting up, on the first dive, and recovering to the boat. I appreciate fielding some questions on my redundancy.
There have been some of these trips with several TEC / Full Cave divers. No hassles about a Solo card, but they still get the eyes on checkout.
Observation: It's not the card, it's how one dives.
right i live in the caribbean for 3 years did about 160 dive dive ops will not let a solo diver on a boat.

right i live in the caribbean for 3 years did about 160 dive dive ops will not let a solo diver on a boat.
Not exactly sure what this post means....... but as a solo diver I can say that I have never been not allowed on a boat for that reason.....

But...... I can understand that some op's or government regulations do not allow solo diving. Caymans come to mind...

Not exactly sure what this post means....... but as a solo diver I can say that I have never been not allowed on a boat for that reason.....

But...... I can understand that some op's or government regulations do not allow solo diving. Caymans come to mind...
l mean that while i was in the yucatan peninsula for 3 years and dove also a lot it belize that time i never saw a solo diver on a boat with a DS. i stay. 6 months in cozumel nobody will allow shore diving except with a DS.

Either in playa del carmen cozumel or cancun a DS like dressel diver will not let you go with tanks on your own.

It might have change this was 20 years ago. No offense to you. Cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom