Solo diving, or not, from the Explorer Ventures Turks & Caicos Explorer II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I recently read a review on Undercurrent in which the poster was denied the opportunity to solo dive with his PADI Self Reliant Diver certification. He was told that only the SDI Solo Diver certification was accepted. This seems to be borne out on the Explorer Ventures website

1674662431116.png

This reminds me of an older thread What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?

So, does this mean that they don’t accept PADI OW, AOW or Nitrox?

When I was looking for a place to take a solo course, only one of the 6 shops near me, 2 of which are SDI, were offering anything and that was Self Reliant. I had already read through the course material for both and there wasn’t a lot of difference, so I was fine with that. So, not sure I understand their thinking on this.

Erik

Probably driven by their insurance company. The courses are basically identical.
Pity.

“We offer the SDI solo diving course.” That’s probably all you need to know to see why they don’t allow the PADI course.
DING DING DING !!.....we have a winner folks. tell him what he's won Johnny. :)

Rather than guessing, I communicated with Explorer Ventures:

Thank you for your email. At this time, the PADI course isn’t recognized by the vessel insurance carrier as a qualifying certification.

Regards,

Michele Spinale

Reservations

Explorer Ventures Liveaboard Diving Fleet
Saba/St. Kitts, Turks & Caicos, Palau, Galapagos, Indonesia,

Maldives, Red Sea and Silver Bank

PO Box 310, Mills, WY 82644 USA
(307) 235-0683; (307) 235-0686 FAX
(800) 322-3577 ext. 116

Not to be critical, but I think many peope have lost basic communication skills.

I wondered if PADI's seeming ambivalence about solo diving would come back to bite some people like this. It's my understanding from past thread discussions that PADI was historically seen by some as opposed to solo diving. My personal theory is when SDI came out with the Solo Diver course and certification, it drew enough interest to draw people who'd historically taken PADI courses 'off the PADI reservation' to take the SDI course. This created the risk they might have a positive experience and be more open to take other courses from other agencies, and it raised brand awareness for a competitor.

Uh-oh! But PADI had been seen as anti-solo diving. What to do? Well, they came out with a very similar course, but didn't call it 'solo,' but the non-controversial 'self-reliant,' and proceeded to, as they say, 'talk out both sides of their mouth,' continuing to push buddy diving and rather minimize solo diving even when their self-reliant course is under discussion!

To back up my viewpoint, I'll cherry pick quote some content from currently available online sources, and as you read over them, I ask...does this sound like PADI is confident that their course brings solo divers to the level where solo diving is a fine, acceptable and conquerably safe activity compared to buddy diving. Then ask how a liability insurance professional providing policies to dive operators would interpret this.

From PADI's webpage Scuba Diving Solo: What You Need To Know:

"Scuba diving with a buddy is safer and more fun than scuba diving solo."

"Imagine you’re out there alone and a family of whales passes by. It’s an amazing moment but also a bummer because:

#1 There’s no one to share the experience with

#2 You don’t have a witness to confirm this unbelievable story

So why would anyone scuba dive solo? Is it even legal to scuba dive alone?"

"Unless you have an insanely reckless buddy, it’s always safer to dive with someone else. At the very least, they’re an ambulatory second air source who can come to your aid."

PADI has a pro.'s blog page Should You Solo Dive? From it:

"Qualified and properly equipped divers can choose to dive without a partner although given the choice, diving in a buddy team would be the best-case scenario."

In this 2011 SB thread, PADI Lacking Solo Diver Course, check out Post #10 by DevonDiver. He showed a PADI Worldwide position article on Solo Diving by Drew Richardson that immediately launched into why PADI advocates use of the buddy system. From the article:

"The buddy system provides divers in training with a safety redundancy to this skill base that diving alone simply cannot provide. PADI has, and will continue to, train divers using the buddy system based on its proven benefit to diving, divers and diving safety."

"The buddy system has provided tangible contributions to millions of dives. Buddies provide an extra set of eyes and hands for each other. Providing assistance in putting on equipment, adjusting straps, assisting with weights and tanks, entering the water, helping to load and unload gear are but a few practical arguments that support the buddy system."

"The roots of the buddy system arise from diving and water safety.
Early days of diver training heralded the buddy system as an important safety procedure because only through the buddy system could a diver reasonably expect to escape from entanglement, entrapment, out of air situations, disorientation, a head injury, chest pains, cramping and dozens more. Diver training and diving equipment have improved, yet these same values apply today. Like all safety-based systems, the buddy system is not perfect. However, the simple fact is that without a buddy in the water, the distressed diver has little or no chance of assistance.

The buddy system is the most basic form of scuba diving fail-safe. Buddies have helped each other in subtle and profound ways for decades. Often the smallest buddy intervention averts a string of error chains occurred and negative outcomes or tragedy."

"Fundamentally, the buddy system is about dive companionship, something that won't appeal to misanthropic personality types."

"It is important to clarify what responsible solo scuba diving is. PADI views it as a form of technical diving and not for everybody."

"That said, no amount of redundant equipment can effectively back up a diver's brain better than another individual."

"When a problem occurs on a solo dive, or when the diver is alone in the water, there is little or no chance of assistance for the distressed diver. This decreases the chances of a diver surviving the problem or having a favorable outcome. Diving alone reduces the chance of survival regardless of the problem."

Diving with a buddy also increases the chance of a problem occurring during the dive, sometimes by a factor greater than 2.

I recently read a review on Undercurrent in which the poster was denied the opportunity to solo dive with his PADI Self Reliant Diver certification. He was told that only the SDI Solo Diver certification was accepted. This seems to be borne out on the Explorer Ventures website

View attachment 766186

This reminds me of an older thread What solo cert do you have, has it ever been turned down?
Solo diving requires two things. Certification and equipment. Whether the PADI Self Reliant is the same as SDI Solo Diver might be debatable. What's not debatable is that diving alone is vastly different than solo diving.
I am Captain of the TCEX2 and was operating the boat when this guest boarded. Nowhere in his booking did he mention that he intended to dive solo and it wasn't on our manifest as is the norm so we could prepare the second bottle.
So with debatable certification and completely unequipped he informed us of his intentions to dive alone. After considerable back and forth , including office intervention , he agreed to dive with the group.
He couldn't explain to my satisfaction how he justified no spare bottle nor did he say how the PADI course addressed the issue of spare air. He did most of the trip in that fuzzy area of kinda close to his buddy but not really close enough to be of much good.
I should have refused to fill his tanks.
Serious photographer too which always complicates a dive buddy arrangement.
Unwilling , uncertified , unequipped. Repeat guest also so he couldn't plead ignorance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom