Solo diver vs Self-Reliant diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nice where did you get the stage kit ?
Thnx. IIRC, I pieced it together from parts of different rigs and some fresh bits from DGX (likely). It's an older 17 bottle which fits my travel case perfectly so it's a rec pony. I figure if I can't make it up from 130 on a quarter of a std 80, the poo is really, really deep and quite viscous that day.

I like the bands. I order a 30 cf yesterday but I will get it in a month or two only cause it’s BO. Looking for my options regarding stage kit.

I like the bands. I order a 30 cf yesterday but I will get it in a month or two only cause it’s BO. Looking for my options regarding stage kit.
So easy to make your own stage kit. Once upon a time "everyone" did. Decide whether you will use braided nylon or paracord. You can get almost everything you need from one of the box stores. However, don't "cheap" on the bolt snaps: Make sure they are marine stainless with a marine stainless spring, and open and close smoothly without binding and don't have sharp edges. I purchased my bolt snaps a very long time ago from Extreme Exposure, and I assume EE still offers them.

You can google for instructions.

rx7diver

You can always make one. Some of my favorite rigging so far is actually my "cheapest" and "sloppiest," that somehow is great to use. The paracord one I threw together in about 15 minutes, and put on an extra "loaner" pony bottle, but it's actually somehow the most stable and easy to use, and adjust. I may actually replace the rigging I use on my sidemount bottles with something similar, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I do have several "nice looking" commercial tank riggings sitting around that I haven't used yet.

Attachments

• 20221130_143640.jpg
    20221130_143640.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221130_143722.jpg
    20221130_143722.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 35
  • 20221130_143841.jpg
    20221130_143841.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 20221130_143901.jpg
    20221130_143901.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 20221130_143907.jpg
    20221130_143907.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 35
I'm pretty sure the bands were a DGX order. The old elastic bands from the bottles I was piecing together this kit were from a large tank and they had gotten to the elqasticity-end-of-life stage so new bands were required.

So easy to make your own staging kit. Once upon a time "everyone" did. Decide whether you will use braided nylon or paracord. You can get almost everything you need from one of the box stores. However, don't "cheap" on the bolt snaps: Make sure they are marine stainless with a marine stainless spring, and open and close smoothly without binding and don't have sharp edges. I purchased my bolt snaps a very long time ago from Extreme Exposure, and I assume EE still offers them.

You can google for instructions.

rx7diver
Thank you

You can always make one. Some of my favorite rigging so far is actually my "cheapest" and "sloppiest," that somehow is great to use. The paracord one I threw together in about 15 minutes, and put on an extra "loaner" pony bottle, but it's actually somehow the most stable and easy to use, and adjust. I may actually replace the rigging I use on my sidemount bottles with something similar, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

I do have several "nice looking" commercial tank riggings sitting around that I haven't used yet.
nice the cost of a XS Scuba kit is about 90 canadian pesos $ here, very expensive in my opinion for what it s really worth. I will do go at the hardware store to get a 5,25 clamps that will cost about 4$, paracord i ve got some and i will get to marine grade bottle snap for about 15$ each. The webbing around the cord and the bungee or elastic strap could be fine anywhere for a cheap price. So i assume that for 50$ cad i will be all set.

... I will do go at the hardware store to get a 5,25 clamps that will cost about 4$, paracord i ve got some and i will get to marine grade bottle snap for about 15$ each. The webbing around the cord and the bungee or elastic strap could be fine anywhere for a cheap price. So i assume that for 50$ cad i will be all set.
I used clear tubing (rather than opaque fuel line) for the "handles". And my bolt snaps have closed ends that are larger (because I was wearing thick, cold-water wet gloves for Great Lakes diving at the time).

I used bungee cord (rather than, say, bands cut from a motorcycle inner tube) to secure my 40" regulator IP hose.

Oh, and avoid the cheap galvanized (?) hose clamps.

Decide whether you will use a button gauge (of whatever size) or a B&G SPG. If the latter, decide how you will attach it (short HP hose?) and how you will secure it.

Google to see various examples of how people do things. For example, some people will thread the hose clamp through tube webbing. And don't forget to address the "free" end of the hose clamp (so it's less likely to catch on things and/or hole your drysuit).

Good luck.

rx7diver

marine grade bottle snap for about 15$ each
That seems a bit expensive, unless they're crazy good. Check Dive Gear Express. I spend about $5.5 USD on my giant 4 or 5 inch bolt-snaps, and less $ on the smaller ones. Though I usually buy bulk packs of smaller bolt-snaps, just because I use so many of them.

If you want to spend a little more than $5, Piranha has some Easy Grip Swivel boltsnaps, that are great for cold-water diving, gloves, or difficult-to-reach bolt-snaps. I use a few on my SideMount butt-pouch.

The other thing that can be useful, is tubular webbing, to go around the hose-clamp to reduce scratches on the tank. You can get it on Amazon, ebay, or DiveGearExpress as well. I think 1-inch tubular webbing is the right size.

My tank-bands were made from bungie, although that does have a tendency to "roll" a little. I have experimented with elastic, but didn't have better results. The ones you get with commercial solutions are probably slightly better. You don't have to use the elastic band, but it can be useful if you sling the tank (front or side mount) for retaining the hose.

I've personally seen a high-pressure hose spontaneously rupture and start exhaling lots of gas quickly from the large hole in the side of the hose. The hose was neither very old, nor had any visible signs of wear in the pre-dive checks. Fortunately the person in question was in a sidemount configuration and simply switched over and so everything was fine. But there is a reason why, at least among those of us who plan to make it into old age, solo deep diving with a single air source is not a thing.
While seeming massive, a ruptured HP Hose is an inconvenience only. Look at the actual fitting that goes into the first stage. It is a tiny pinhole (which is the reason you can diagnose a partially closed tank valve by looking at your spg while taking a breath off your regulator). Search a bit about actual rates of flow and time to empty a cylinder for HP and LP hoses.

A LP hose failure is a whole different situation, and possibly a deadly one...

Back
Top Bottom