Airfare savants, please look into crystal ball...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don- the 30 day thing is great news, but I can't find it anywhere on Continental's site. Do you know where that policy is stated? Thanks again for your help.
I had to phone Cont for clarification as I couldn't find it either, and I had other questions anyway...
For 24 hours after ticketing, you can get a full refund for any reason, or a full credit if there is a fare decrease.

After that, up to 30 days, if the fare goes down you may request a refund, less a $50 fee - which makes it unlikely you'd gain anything form this, but at least it's better than the $150 fee.

After 30 days, the $150 fee is applied even if the fare goes down by more than that. This happened to me last spring, when my booked fare went down by $200, more than 30 days after ticketing but it didn't matter, and the fare credit was reduced by $150.​
Now, it's best to book with the airline direct generally even after using search sites like Sidestep/Kayak, and that site usually gives you that option of a direct link to Continental.com or other sites one might want to use for other reasons.
You can always call for free to ask about things tho; if they res agent cannot find you a cheaper fare, cool - book it yourself, but no charge for helping look, unless the res agent does the booking for you in which case there is a fee. You got good fares tho; I have paid over $500 many times to go to Coz.

Additional questions about refunds, credits, luggage, etc can be called in for free at any time. I am glad to assist, but then they are the horse's mouth source. Even when you get info from me or someone smarter here, it's good to confirm it. :eyebrow:

One can also request Continental.com help desk for help booking without fees I think.​
I did notice recently that Cont no longer has a 70# free allowance for a scuba-only bag like they have had in the past. From US to/from Mexico: first bag free each, second bag $30 at airport or $27 online - both with 50# limits. Continental Airlines - Baggage Information

Do you have a digital luggage scale? I got one of these for less than $5 including postage and it's very accurate: 40Kg 20g Digital Hangging Luggage Fishing Weight SCALE - eBay (item 320435840144 end time Dec-20-09 18:04:36 PST) That listing has ended but there are others. Just make sure you get a 40 Kb/88 Lb capacity as there are some being sold with 20 Kb/44 Lb limits = worthless for luggage. This one also has small hooks requiring a couple of short bungee cords or similar. A month later, my daughter gave me a nicer one for Xmas; I should have waited. :blush:
[hijack]Funny story: Other member poke fun at me as I take so much when I go, around 200# total with Elite FF-member allowances. Silver members got cut back to 2 - 50# checked free with October changes, but Gold & Platinum members now get up to 3 - 70# free checked bags. With my 40# roll-on and my 20# computer & camera bag, I can now bump to 270# free. :shocked2: I don't know what else I would take, but I might volunteer to carry needed items down now. On return, I'll now check my roll-on. [/hijack]

I was looking at Continentals web site this morning and it looks like they are now charging $50 for the second bag, not sure about the first.....................? free or $25.00.
:rofl3: You're going to give him a cardiac event...!

I would like to see what you saw, maybe you were looking at overseas, but from Continental Airlines - Checked Baggage Fees it seems to be first bag free to Mexico, second $27/$30...

5wwaxv.jpg

Last edited:
With 7 of us traveling I'm not worried about the luggage allowance, we should be able to make do with 350# free..... I do have one of those digital luggage scales, they're a must have now, saving you from displaying all of your packing skills to the masses while you redistribute belongings at the check-in counter.

:D today the fares went up $60 :D

:D today the fares went up $60 :D
Good shot Fellow! :medal: I don't think you qualify for a refund. :silly:

Last edited:
Don- I hesitate to make this clarification only because not only is it entertaining for me, but I also wonder if your assistance would cease.....

I'm a 6'5" 265# male.

Don- I hesitate to make this clarification only because not only is it entertaining for me, but I also wonder if your assistance would cease.....

I'm a 6'5" 265# male.
ooops.gif
Hehe, I guessed wrong. Changed previous posts and still happy to help when I may. :thumb:

I know the rest of the board is not interested in a blow by blow rate check from SFO-CZM, but I am amazed. The fare just jumped again, now up $110 over what I paid yesterday to $453, and up $50 from just this morning...

There truly seems to be no reliable way to forecast fares.

I know the rest of the board is not interested in a blow by blow rate check from SFO-CZM, but I am amazed. The fare just jumped again, now up $110 over what I paid yesterday to $453, and up $50 from just this morning...

There truly seems to be no reliable way to forecast fares.
Nope, and I'm not good at playing that game - or poker. I admired your discipline at holding on as long as you did, but glad you grabbed it when you got what you did. Your buying 7 seats on B-737s takes a chunk out of inventory for those flights, but it doesn't look any cheaper other days. You just bought during a temporary dip before the big jump I guess. :thumb:

Sidestep, Orbitz, etc have not loaded the new fares yet; they still offer lower until you try to book. Glad you called it and caught it when you did.

When I was shopping for a winter trip in Nov, Cont had doubled my fare to Coz, but then dropped my fare to Roatan cheaper than I have noticed in years - cheaper than Coz. I grabbed that then, and - as much as I love Coz, I am glad to be going back to Roatan after so long - even tho my fare to Coz came back down. I guess the airlines know what they're doing but it certainly makes it hard to make informed shopping decisions, but then - that's probly their plan.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom