airfares/traveling from SFO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kathy, I've heard a few people say that the Caribbean is a let down if you've dived anywhere in southeast Asia. Why is this so? Is it because of se asia's marine biodiversity or over all, it just kicks ass? We dived Puerto Galera for a week and then Bohol for another week (posted reports/pics on PPD). Both places were spectacular but we didn't have good viz last month. I'd like to believe that every dive destination has its own personality and story, but man, if it's gonna be such a let down, I'd rather pay the extra $100-200 for a ticket to the Philippines or Indonesia.

Well I've only been diving in Utila/Roatan in the Caribbean it was pretty but the biodiversity isn't even close to what you'll find in the coral triangle of SE Asia. The 50ft whale shares in utila are unbelievable though & the geology is nice.

FYI in the Philippines Puerto Galera pales in comparison to Apo Island or even Anilao and other PI sites.

I'd pay the extra cash for a ticket to Asia. Bunakan/Lembeh in Manado Sulewesi & Bali Indonesia are amazing & pretty cheap - really cheap if you want to go budget. But the jet lag and long flight probably aren't worth going for a week.

A lot of people swear by Bonaire but I haven't been yet.

If you head to the Caribbean just don't bring SE Asia expectations - it has a flavor of its own and Utila top side is interesting. But it depends on what you are after.

If you are down for a more adventurous journey - I'd check out Little Corn Island in Nicaragua, lots of turtles & the hammerheads are migrating there this time of year. I haven't been but I was intrigued. You should be able to find information about it on the Lonely Planet Thorntree forum if not through google.

If you explain your budget and desired experience (ie: backpacker vs. resort) I can try to make more specific recommendations.

PS: I'm probably spending 3 months back diving SE Asia next summer ;-)

But the jet lag and long flight probably aren't worth going for a week.

Yeah I agree, that's why I mentioned that I'm saving at least 2 weeks for a separate SE asia trip. I'm jealous that you're going for a few months! My favorite dives in the Philippines were at the Verde Island Drop-Off. That's gonna be my favorite site for a long time. It was sensory overload.

Too bad there are no direct flights to Bali from US. Makes it a pain to get to, even if I fly out of Manila. I'm not picky about lodging, although I do require two things - wifi and hot showers.

Yeah I agree, that's why I mentioned that I'm saving at least 2 weeks for a separate SE asia trip. I'm jealous that you're going for a few months! My favorite dives in the Philippines were at the Verde Island Drop-Off. That's gonna be my favorite site for a long time. It was sensory overload.

Too bad there are no direct flights to Bali from US. Makes it a pain to get to, even if I fly out of Manila. I'm not picky about lodging, although I do require two things - wifi and hot showers.

No direct to Bali, you sure? I don't remember. Verde Island Drop-off - I'll have to look it up for next trip ;-).

If you head to Utila I can recommend a nice place but you'll have to go to internet cafes cause no wifi ;-(.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom