airline carry on ?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oldschoolto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm flying for the first time since 9/11 and the TSA "want-to-be-cops"... I'm not 75 with a colostomy bag or a 6yr old little girl... :shakehead: So I should be ok with walking right through.... :( I'm headed to Hawaii on United airlines... I packed wives dive computer, bottom timer and 2 complete regulator sets in my one carry on bag... What are the chances of them giving me a hard time...? Any advice would be nice to have...:)

I tried to find a way to drive the camper dive van there.... But my snorkel is too short :shocked2::rofl3::rofl3: Please don't tell anyone thats why I have a BFK in my checked bag......

Jim...

Has never been an issue for me, regardless of where I am traveling to or what airports I am going through. Sometimes you get asked "dive equipment?", sometimes the X-ray person calls someone to look at it - first time for everything, so you might have the "newbie".

You tend to find that airports with destinations to dive places have screening folks that have seen it all.

just to add there will be no problem. might ask what the stuff is etc but there are no restrictions on any of this stuff. been bringing dive computers, regulators etc in carry on luggage for over 10 years with no problem.

Totally depends on the airline with international travel (some carry on allowances are as little as 11 pounds) but since you will be flying domestic you should be fine. My carry on often contains all the clothes I need, toilet kit, dive computers, video camera with housing & lights, etc.

I have never had a carry-on weighed international or domestic. Often my carry-on backpack is over 30 pounds!

You might want to take your regulator out of your bag and put it in a bin. Not all that necessary, but usually gets you out of a bag check, and saves a bit of time. Computers usually go through without issue.

I have never had a carry-on weighed international or domestic. Often my carry-on backpack is over 30 pounds!
I did. Sunwing does that. They allow 5 kg, which is totally ridiculous. Even without the laptop (it's counted extra) my bag was over. Luckily it was only a little overweight and they're not too strict about it...

Never had a real problem at the security checkpoint though. They might go through your bag if the contents look weird to them, so be prepared for that. I tend to have a lot of electronics on my carry-on, cables and what not, they dig through that quite frequently. Last time they didn't like my SMB, didn't know what it was and it's got some metal parts to it, so they took it out and unrolled it, with a very interesting look on their faces :D

Just make sure you don't actually have any prohibited items in your bag and you'll be fine.

---------- Post added April 9th, 2013 at 01:44 PM ----------

Oh, and be very diligent with removing metallic items from yourself before going through the scanner. Belt, watch, wallet, cell phone, keys, get rid of everything. Avoid triggering the metal detector if at all possible.

I carry two first stages,one din one yoke, and a couple of 2nd stages, one mostly brass 109/56, my computer, my (empty) weight belt, a couple of small uw lights, a minimaist Zeagle bc, and fins, all in Crumpler carry on, along with my plastic bag of liquids (two bottles of defogger) a couple of lycra skins a 1mm suit, a snorkel and mask combo an my collecting net. Usually one fin , the Canon d10, compass, computer and gauges go into my significant other's carry on.

I mind losing things on the was back much less than the prospect of these essentials not ariving when I get to my destination. Shirts, pants shoes, I already have what I'm wearing A few ratty extras in check- through. My travel companion is gracious enough to allow me to displace some of her things so I can use about a fifth of her carry-on. I bring a small but efficient air pump and a good amount of plastic bags. The nets, airpump and the large box bags for shipping fish are not needed if you have no interest in collecting, or going somewhere that collecting is not permitted. I have no problems getting US Fish and Wildlife's permission and declarations because the director of the Newark office knows me well,(former student) and knows the regs, as they affect. 'ornamental live fish for personal use. Most customs agents will incorrectly try to apply commecial regulations to your little bag of fish because the don't really understand many of the regs themselve, regs that do not require you to have a permit.

But I digress.

Some TSA/Customs agents have seen scuba items and scuba cameras a thousand times, and those who have not will generally accept your explanations, except for dive lights, wich they want to see come on when they push the switch.

Years ago (digression warning) I was bringing back a snake I had caught on Jamaica. It was and still is a beautiful animal. It's my avatar picture on this board. Going through Jamaican customs is much messier thsn US customs. "LAWD GOD DIS MAN 'AVE A SERPENT IN DE BAG. I had that snake for about 12 years, then I donated it to an AZA select endangered species project.

The trick is to pack very very carefully, as though you were assempling a puzzle Try a number of strategies. Put all scuba type items on top, so it does not look like you are concealing anything. Practice packing and unpacking because you may have to just that so after the carry-on is inspected and pulled apart in the process. Avoid bulges. Make the outline of the carry-on as flat as possible. Weigh it.

Reactions: Doc
I remove all electronics from my checked backpack/bags when passing thru the TSA check point. They thank me for it. Dive computers jumbled in with large batteries for my can light etc., look a little too much like...so by putting them into their own bin it alleviates any issues before one, and "I" get to remove them and put them back into my backpack for damage control.

I carry on regs, computers, cameras. I have only been asked 1 time to open the bag so they could have a look. That time they took my regulator and ran it through the machine for a second look. Gave it back to me and I was on my way. That happened in Denver. I think it was probably a new guy and they ran it through again so he could get a better look at what a regulator would look like for future purposes.

I carry one or two regulator sets, two dive computers and a PC with me. The only thing that has been double checked was the pelican case containing the Analox O2 and CO analyzers. I now put the opened case in a bin. The last time, in San Juan, the TSA guy thanked me for displaying it separately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom