Airsource difficult to keep in mouth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The aqualung hose has a disconnect so you can remove the safe second from the tube so I'm not sure I'd be able to swap it out but I'd consider that.
That is really not an option. The fitting at the top is contoured and not a simple tube shape, and you would be trying to jury-rig a dump cable as the one you have now is two segments each with a terminus at that mid hose QD. That QD is also how you pull the dump valve without removing the regulator from your mouth.

You never answered whether you are just testing, or using this as a primary.
And if it is sealed in your mouth but still breathing wet, it sounds like there might be some other issue.

And maybe a longer LP hose is needed?

You never answered whether you are just testing, or using this as a primary.
And if it is sealed in your mouth but still breathing wet, it sounds like there might be some other issue.

And maybe a longer LP hose is needed?

Not using it as a primary. Just testing. I want to make sure I can comfortably use it for 10 min or so and do a safe ascent. Feeling like its being pulled out my mouth made it difficult to focus on other tasks and difficulty dumping made feel like I'd have buoyancy issues.

The pulling issue is solved and range of motion is good enough so I think I'll stick with the current LP hose. It sounds like a different dump tube is out of the question but I don't think I'd need it anyways. Now I just need to practice dumping while breathing/ascending with it. I should be able practice that next week so I'll see how it goes.

Regarding wet breathing I've seen others with the same complaint but I wouldn't hesitate to take it in for a checkup if its not normal. I'll try to confirm I've got a good seal and consider having it looked at. All my gear was serviced about 10 months and 33 dives ago.

Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated!

I dove again yesterday and the Airsource seemed wetter than normal. I held it in my mouth to ensure a good seal but it was wet to the point that I decided to stop breathing off it. I'll be taking it in for service and see what they say but I'm starting to lean towards replacing it with an octo.

With the Airsource disconnected from the hose, hold your finger over the QD inlet to block any air and try inhaling. If you find you can get any air through, then something is not sealing correctly - either the exhaust valve or the diaphragm. (Or I suppose a cracked body?)

I tried the test and a couple of times it felt like it wasn't getting a good seal compared to my primary. My LDS also said there wasn't a good seal so they took it apart and didn't see anything. when they put it back together he said the seal was good now but not sure why. I'm not sure what to think about this but its not confidence inspiring.

I dove it again and it breaths fine with calm breaths but if I breath hard I'll get enough water to be annoying and possibly cough if I'm not careful. I imagine if I ever needed it my respiration rate would go up and I'd be getting very wet breaths. That's not what I want in an emergency.

Anyways, thanks for talking me through this. I sent a message to Aqualung about it but at this point I'm going to accept that this is how it is and I'll be replacing it.

Did you get resolution on this issue? I’m considering using Airsource instead of an octopus just to streamlining on <60’ open dives

Aqualung and Oceanic are the only two brands I know of that allow you to vent the left shoulder while using the regulator. These are NOT all the same...

The new Air 2 can as well, I don't know how far back that feature was instituted. Before that, and now, as well, the dump can be used by pushing an actuator on the dump valve itself. That feature predates the pull dump and was probably the reason it took so long to add the pull dump feature.

https://ww2.scubapro.com/media/734275/vl_09-2017_scubapro_jacket-eng.pdf page 12.

One way to sell gear is to continue to spread misinformation about competitors.

I do not, nor ever had, worked for ScubaPro, nor use any except some 109's, and maybe something from when it was a Healthway's brand. I go for value rather than price, and used an Oceanic Air 2 clone for five years or so and suffered no ill effects from the experience.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom