Akona Bag Falling Apart With No Support

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

loady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My Akona Akb144 roller backpack is falling apart at the seams. Started coming apart a few months after purchase. No warranty without a receipt and no way to get one since Sport Chalet is out of business. Anyone have a similar story and resolution? Thanks

Akona bags eventually start to fissure, crack & rip at high stress points like the corners and seams under load over time and many wet soak & drying cycles of marine environment exposure. The only way other than getting a replacement to keep it "holding together" for now is to use a lot of Aqua seal cement along those seams & areas where it's coming apart.

I have one of those that must be 15 years old and it's still going strong. Mind you, It only gets used for travel for the most part... I bought a similar one made by Mares and it didn't last for one trip down south.

I do like aquaseal and duct tape. Where its ripped that won't be a long term solution. The panel area under the rip has a thin Styrofoam material.
Akona bags eventually start to fissure, crack & rip at high stress points like the corners and seams under load over time and many wet soak & drying cycles of marine environment exposure. The only way other than getting a replacement to keep it "holding together" for now is to use a lot of Aqua seal cement along those seams & areas where it's coming apart.

Seems the Akona rep is still an active member on SB. A different thread 6yrs old covers this very issue. There was a defect with one of those bags and the rep. Totally blew the opportunity to deal directly with a couple complaints. Company policy at the time was to direct all issues to the vendor.
This thread was read by over 8150 divers.
This case the vendor is gone and the bag may be defective. We will see if Akona steps up and handles this right or shnits on this guy for loosing a receipt. Looks like a great PR opportunity...
PS. I have one of these bags. So far so good.

I use an Osprey rolling bag for travel and used Nikwax to waterproof the inside and outside. I think it helps protect it from becoming waterlogged. I had a really good Armor bag prior to this one, never had any problems. Hope the OP gets satisfaction from the company for the bag.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom