Akona or Bare?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blake

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i'm in the market for a 7mm wetsuit, i am 6'2" 255lbs i have been looking at the akona 7mm titanium and the bare artic, i dive in ontario in the great lakes and wondering which suit would be better, or if anyone has any other suits that they know of any help would be appreciated

I'm a big fan of my Bare Arctic and the companion hooded vest.

In your case job 1 is finding out which fits you the best. Mixing and matching is not out of the question.

We hear a lot of good stuff about Pinnacle as well.

Pete

In my time spent in the St. Lawrence and the Great Lakes the Bare Artic full + hooded step-in vest (for 14mm in the core) was my choice of insulation.

Cheers.

-J.-

The Akona 7mm is good suit, but not for waters colder than 60 degrees. You may want to consider going dry. It is more expensive, but you will stay warmer, especially after multiple dives.

I'd be checking out the Pinnacle line if you are going to go wet. You are close enough to Port Huron you can have one shipped from an online U.S. retailer and pick it up over there. PM me if you want some suggestions. The Pinnacle construction and features married with the flexibility may be what you want. Check out reviews of the suits online also.

If you shop around you should be able to find a nice dry suit for $500-600. Yea it's more than a wet suit but for that far up north you really should look at a dry suit. I really like my Bare 5mm so much so that I just bought a Bare dry suit.

You should consider an Excel Semi-dry, as well as the pinnacle Semi-dry suits. I have the Excel 6.5mm, and have dove it comfortably in 55 degree water for a 45 minute dive.
A good fitting Semi dry suit can be very warm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom