Akumal in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PB125

Registered
Reaction score
(this is a re-post) I have a group going to Akumal in May. We are staying in a rented Villa (Casa Alux) for ten days near town. I'm looking for a good Dive Op near Akumal Bay. I've been to Coz a few times and have dived with Anita Divers (the best I've been with...they really go all out to please). This will be my first time in Akumal and need advice on a Dive Op and where the best diving is. Usually we stay at an All-inclusive resort and we're gonna be "roughing-it" this time around so...
What's there to do in Akumal? Where's the best restaurants to eat at? We are going to be doing a lot of our own cooking and shopping for groceries, etc. I've been told we can rent a golf cart for travel to and from town. Any advice is appreciated!:D

Phil

The golf cart would be a nice option, the town is spread out over two good sized bays.

We dove with Akumal Dive Center and they did a reasonably good job but I would try someone different next time I go. I would consider doing both a reef dive and cenote dive early in your trip. You might find that you like the cenote diving better than the ocean.

We liked La Buena Vida for a relaxed oceanside meal. But there are a number of good options within the village.

Thanks!! Any help is appreciated. Someone did say to shop in Play Del Carmen before we arrived at Casa Alux but, I'll have lots of bags just getting there. So, I'll probably shop in town. Our thoughts right now are to find a good dive op, shop at a grocery store for food and adult beverages and most of all relax. Renting a car is one way to go since we've never been to Akumal before and want to site see.
Regarding a dive-op...I would like..emphasis on "would like" to find one that would pick us up near the Casa. I'm probably dreaming but worth a try.

The very first thing I would do is get the Riviera Maya map from Can-Do Maps and travel guides. Just our new one today and it is great. All the restaurants, dive shops are listed with contact info when available.

Not much to do in Akumal. La Beuna Vida is the only watering hole and all the grocery shopping is very expensive. I might as well say it, stop in PDC for groceries and if you run low there is another grocery store in Tulum that is closer.

Rent a car IF you know the local rules of the road. We have found that the cost of a car is less than the airport transfer and the taxi fares. Your golf cart runs $40 a day from Selva Maya " Yor adventure starts here..". We like to use Cancun Rent a Car | Cancun Airport Rent A Car | Rent a Car In Cancun for rental cars.

There are five dive shops in Akumal, Akumal Dive Shop -Caribbean Scuba Diving, Akumal, Mexico, Akumal Dive Adventures - Homepage, Villas DeRosa Resort Aquatech-Cave-Diving-Center, AKUMAL DIVE CENTER - Scuba and cave diving courses/trips, south of Cancun and Blue Caribe, Dive Center in Akumal, Riviera Maya - Mexico. Akumal Dive Center is the best of the bunch. I would not dive with the Akumal Dive Shop again. On one dive they had discover scuba people diving with the regular divers and only one divemaster. Not a safe operation, and by the way none of their boats would pass a Mexican Coast Guard inspection on a very good day. A lot of the locals not like Akumal Dive Adventures because they operate out of Half Moon Bay. Personally, I agree with the locals.

Hope this helps, we will be in Akumal for three days starting on May 9th.

I used to go to Akumal a lot when I worked for a rental company that represented most of the local condos and villas. It's been 3 years since Ive been there, so a lot may have changed. However, here are some tips that I hope make your vacation more enjoyable.

Casa Alux is a really nice house and you will really enjoy it. It's isn't beachfront (it's on the rocks) but almost all the villas in Akumal are like that. It's really close to Akumal Bay and the town. Akumal will be a nice change of pace over staying at an all-inclusive.

Definitely rent a car at the airport. You can use a golf cart in Akumal, but I've always rented a car instead. Don't ask for a newer car when renting and they probably won't hassle you over scratches and dings when you turn it in. Just make sure they mark everything in the rental agreement before you drive off the lot. Easy Way is cheap. Cancun Car Rental, Rent a car in Cancun, Playa del Carmen Easy Way Car Rental Don't take your eyes off the pump when filling the vehicle at any of the gas stations.

There are two small grocery stores at the entrance to Akumal that will have pretty much everything you'll need for cooking at the house, as well as beer, liquor, beach stuff and gifts. There's also a breakfast counter called the "Akumal Luncheria" (or something like that) located just outside the main entrance to town. The omelettes are very good. This place is not for the faint of heart, but if you want to converse with the locals check it out. Watch out for the flies!

Lol Ha is hands down the one place you have to go for dinner. It is located on Akumal Bay. The wait staff and food are VERY good. La Buena Vida on Half Moon Bay is also top notch for dinner in the upstairs restaurant. Have lunch or afternoon drinks at one of their beachside tables. Their bar has the best nightlife in Akumal which isn't saying much. La Cueva Del Pescador (The Fish Curve?) located in the middle of town is also very popular, but I didn't care for the sand floor, mosquitos and over salted food. The Turtle Bay Bakery serves home cooked pastries for breakfast and sandwiches for lunch - very tasty. La Lunita on Half Moon Bay would be a third or fourth choice for dinner. Que Onda (near Yalku Lagoon) is a good Italian place with a unique ambience. Bring your bug spray.

The Akumal Dive Shop is the town's first dive operation. Akumal Dive Adventures is the other most chosen dive shop. The experience you will have at either one probably most depends on what DM you end up with. They are both established shops. driftwood is right on the money about Half Moon Bay - I remember years ago there was a big stink in town when The Akumal Dive Center opened. There supposedly had been a long standing agreement between everyone in Akumal that motorboats in Half Moon Bay were prohibited. I also heard about some local "tax" or "Akumal Association" fee that all the property owners paid to keep the town nice, that is except for the owner of this establishment. Again, I have no direct knowledge of this, only talk. Many would say the diving in this area is inferior to Cozumel. There are however many good spots if you get with the right crew. For Cenote diving Dos Ojos and Chac Mool are popular.

Akumal Tips
Make sure you check out Yalku Lagoon. This is a great snorkeling spot for beginners to advanced. Easy entry, 5-25 foot depth with some good swim throughs if you please. The water is brackish so there's no coral but there are often a ton of fish here.

The town is really small - basically one main road - two bays. You can't get lost. Akumal Bay (closer to the entry road) is good for swimming and walking the beach. Half Moon Bay is really pretty but not great for swimming.

Of course there are gift shops and vendors in town. Some of the local artists are amazing, especially Jose P. He carves some exquisite Mayan limestone pieces. He used to set up shop for the lunch crowd in Akumal, but the last time we saw him was on the Coba road, just past a town (sorry I can't remember the name) that's about halfway there from Tulum. His house is on the right just past town and he sets out his creations for passers-by to stop and browse.

Bring your basketball shoes. The locals have a full court just outside the main entrance to Akumal. They will welcome some friendly competition.

Outside of Akumal you could go to Tulum which is about 30 minutes south. This is a "big" town with lots of shops, restaurants, and more than a few bars. Nice beach and ruins. Take a left off 307, and turn right on the beach road, drive around the massive potholes to find a desolate beach paradise. The Coba ruins are a good hour inland from Tulum. They have partially restored many of the buildings and were still allowing people to climb a "pyramid" Nohoch-Mul? the last time I was there. Bring your walking shoes. There are a few cenotes to stop by for a swim on the way back. If you're doing the Tulum or Coba ruins go early before the busloads from Cancun arrive.

Xcaret is cool if you like the Disney sort of thing. They have a Mayan Ball Game that's worth seeing at dusk. This is a fun place for kids and families.

The wife and I are doing just the opposite as you this year. We've always stayed in a condo or villa in Akumal when visiting the area, however this time we got a free time share from her parents so we're going to the Grand Mayan near Playa Del Carmen.

Good luck and enjoy your trip!

The Akumal Dive Shop is the town's first dive operation. Akumal Dive Adventures is the other most chosen dive shop. The experience you will have at either one probably most depends on what DM you end up with. They are both established shops. driftwood is right on the money about Half Moon Bay - I remember years ago there was a big stink in town when The Akumal Dive Center opened. There supposedly had been a long standing agreement between everyone in Akumal that motorboats in Half Moon Bay were prohibited. I also heard about some local "tax" or "Akumal Association" fee that all the property owners paid to keep the town nice, that is except for the owner of this establishment. Again, I have no direct knowledge of this, only talk. Many would say the diving in this area is inferior to Cozumel. There are however many good spots if you get with the right crew. For Cenote diving Dos Ojos and Chac Mool are popular.

Akumal DIVE ADVENTURES is the shop on Half Moon Bay. I've used them for several years and they are excellent. They are VERY conscious of the reef and very careful taking the boats in and out of the bay in one channel where they are not damaging anything. There was some animosity when they opened, but they've proven to be a "good neighbor" and the owner (same owner as La Buena Vida and the Vista del Mar properties) was the first on Half Moon Bay to have a recycling program for all his businesses and properties, has a biologist on-staff and subjects his businesses to an annual voluntary audit by the environmental authorities. And after Emiy, Wilma and Dean he brought in heavy equipment and paid for the road to cleared and repaved with paver bricks... All you need to do is walk down the road in North Akumal and you'll see right away which property owners don't want to pay to keep up their property, but it isn't LBV, Dive Adventures or Vista del Mar. (Home Page -- Vista Del Mar Beachfront Hotel & Condos -- Akumal, Mexico)

Akumal DIVE CENTER is on Akumal Bay, just south of Lol Ha. Arturo (owner/manager) has been in Akumal for 30+yrs and Dive Center dates back more then 25yrs. Most people who dive and have been going to Akumal for many years use DIVE CENTER. Akumal DIVE SHOP is also on Akumal Bay and are located just beside the CEA center. They are the most expensive and get more unfavorable reviews then Dive Center or Dive Adventures. But, each shop has it's following so it's really more a matter of convenience and personal preference.

Overall, the health of the reef in the Akumal area has declined substantially over the past few years, mostly due to development issues and sewage treatment issues that have very negative effects on water quality. Where we were seeing reasonably healthy reefs and a good variety and amount of marine life even just two years ago, we now see dying and near dead algae blanketed reef with no great abundance of marine life. The descriptions you'll read in guide books are not based on current conditions. I would go into it expecting nothing and take it for what it is. Don't expect to drop down and be greeted by colorful reefs with lots of fish. There is still lots to see, but it takes more time and effort to find it. There's a lot of attention given to Akumal Bay, since it's the bigger money-maker with snorkel tours. Unfortunately, in Akumal these days it's all about Akumal Bay and the middle and outer reef just continues to deteriorate.

For groceries, stock up at one of the big stores in Playa on your way down - Chedraui, Sorriana's, Mega, Walmart... The few stores in Akumal have minimal selection and on most items will make a 7-11 look reasonable. There's also a San Francsico in Tulum that's good.

Two years ago I spent 5 days at Vista del Mar and dove with Akumal dive adventures. I felt that they were a good choice. I saw a lot of turtles. The Akumal Dive Center dove with larger groups. I checked them out as well. I am staying in Akumal from May 7-May 13.

Two years ago I spent 5 days at Vista del Mar and dove with Akumal dive adventures. I felt that they were a good choice. I saw a lot of turtles. The Akumal Dive Center dove with larger groups. I checked them out as well. I am staying in Akumal from May 7-May 13.

We are coming in on the 9th and staying on Half Moon Bay. This is a nondiving vacation for Becky and me, but would love to get together for dinner one night.

WOW! Thanks for the insider tips! After careful research, we've decided to rent two small cars in Playa after being shuttled from the airport in Cancun. I know it sounds a bit strange but found it cheaper AND we'll have both small cars for ten days which is by far cheaper than a large van for ten days from Cancun. About $1200.00 for a van and $400.00 for TWO cars for ten days. So, do the math. $135.00 per couple versus $400.00 per couple. (there's three couples on this trip)
After we get to Playa, a'shopping we'll go at what's nearest to 307 then on to Casa Alux. As far as Diveops go, we haven't decided just yet but, were thinking of going to each and seeing what they're about. We DO NOT like cattle boats. I've dived with Anita Divers in Coz and like their set-up. It's not a cattle-boat and it's very easy-going but safe. So, I'm hoping for the same treatment in Akumal with whomever we decide. We're leaning toward leaning toward Akumal Dive Shop but, we'll see.

On land, we're looking at the Zip-line tours. Has anyone done this? We're gonna be there for ten days and are looking for things to do.

PB125, if Akumal Bay is most convenient for you then I would very much suggest that you consider DIVE CENTER not DIVE SHOP. Dive Shop has gotten a rep for being the most expensive and most regimented as far as timing dives and running by the clock rather then allowing divers to dive their tank and computer.

You won't find cattle boats in Akumal with any of the shops. They dive from pangas. During peak travel periods I've seen Dive Center and Dive Shop squeeze 10 people on a boat. In off-season, most I've been with at Dive Center is 6 and same at Dive Adventures. With Dive Adventures we usually have 4 and on many days it's just been 2-3 divers and the DM (this is during off-peak dates). The diving is done as 3, single tank trips. Times vary slightly with each shop but it's approx 9:30am, 11:30am and 2pm.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom