al 80 and dry suits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

arcticat99

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i been doing a lot of reading and most people are using steel tanks with dry suits for the reason of carrying less weight ,my question ?is there a lot of people that dive aluminium with drysuits .cant seem to find any good used steel tanks here and they are almost double in price of aluminum ones

Here in sweden i've only seen al 80 as stage. Most here also use drysuit. in cold water with drysuit and thick undergarnment need about 8 kilo lead with and 10 litre steel. So with al 80 more lead so not practical. Here the prics is similar between alu and steel though, not big difference.

Fellow Canadian here. Yes al80s are common in dry suits. Easy to find, cheap to buy. No one I know actually likes them compared to steel but cost and availability make them common. You might find a steel 72 on kijiji occasionally as 'vintage collectable' and those can be nice little tanks.

Regards,
Cameron

another canuck. yes al80's sidemount in drysuit only because they are cheaper to buy and once you get set up for them if you need a rental then no problem with weights, yes a little more to carry overall but I am a big guy trilam suit 2 al80's and I need 22lbs to make it work.

I dive al80's in a drysuit. Mostly because of cost but I don't seem to have any issues except for the extra weight required. Definitely not ideal but very doable.

Im not Canadian, but if I look south I see Canada....

Dry suit diver here in the Great Lakes. I hate carrying lead on my waist. With that, I just say no to aluminum tanks. I even loathe them as singles when I'm diving wet.... I do have a set of dbl AL80's I use for summer "techreational" in a wet suit.

wife and i just moved up to double HP-100s (uh... 12L x 240bar?), and they are pretty much on the money neutral at 500psi/30bar on a steel plate paired with a drysuit, full set of undergarments, and no additional ballast weight. its quite nice, but that sticker shock is most definitely not!

before that, when diving dry local with a single AL80 and a steel plate, it was around 24~28lb of extra ballast. 8lbs on a cam band on the tank, and 16~20lb on the belt. as mentioned by others, not a fun situation, but doable if you need to get your dive on.

I used to dive with Al80's, but being an air hog, I got steel 130's. Lost some weight, got better, no longer an air hog, and I need no weight at all anymore!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom