AL Spearfishing Rules/Locations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm new to spearfishing and trying to figure out the laws for AL. FL has rules like being 100 yards away from public fishing sites/jetties/etc. Does AL have any restrictions like that or anything else to be aware of? The AL site: Regulations and Enforcement | Outdoor Alabama didn't have a ton of info, or maybe there just aren't a ton of laws.

Also, does anyone have recommendations for shore diving sites to spearfish from and any shops/boats for deeper sites?

Thanks,
Mike

I don't know any Alabama boats that have a reef permit. The charter I would usually recommend in Orange Beach is down with engine problems. If you have an Alabama saltwater license, and a spearfishing license, you can hunt from shore, but it's mostly slim pickins. You can nab flounder at the Whiskey Wreck, and some folks have luck at Alabama Point/Perdido Pass, but the best viz I've ever found was about 5ft. Others go and have spectacular conditions, but it's unpredictable at best, there's no consistency in what makes the viz good, and the current kind.

I've been mostly unimpressed with Spearfishing out of Alabama, at least until you get close to the Western side of Mobile Bay. The Tryssler Grounds are an exception. Most Captains won't take divers they don't know to the Tryssler Grounds, mostly because of depth, which starts around 125ft, but also because they don't want to tear up the limestone bottom, so usually it's a hot-drop.

Honestly, if you want to shoot anything other than lionfish, you should really consider Niuhi. I think all of their DM's are experienced spearfishers, and the Capt Andy can put meat in the freezer all day long. I *think* his permit covers your Florida fishing license, so you won't have that expense if it's a worry. PLEASE check with Capt. Andy first on the license issue. I always have a Florida License anyway, but I think the permit covers anyone onboard.

Now, if you just want to shoot lionfish, you can go on almost any boat. The problem you'll see there is that most of the places charter boats go are relatively "clean" of lionfish. The best lionfishing is off the beaten path.

Thanks, I shot Capt Andy an email about the boat. I guess I'll give up on spearfishing from shore. Doesn't seem like it's doable given FL laws and lack of sites in AL.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom