Alabama lake diving? Wedowee, Smith, Martin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wish I'd seen the post earlier, would have loved to join the group. Visited the old Kowalga bridge on Tuesday evening, May 19th. I didn't find any coke bottles, but it was still a great dive.
:D
Monica

We are going to dive Lake Martin on Saturday morning if any wants to join. We will meet at 7:30 ...see you there

Aucade, can you give directions? Will be coming from Middle GA/I-85 Lagrange area. Thanks. Looking forward to it.

Yep, no problem....Go 85 toward montgomery..get off on the Tallassee exit (dont know the #) turn right...that will take you straight through Tallassee...the road you are on will turn into HWY 14....go about another 8 miles or so then turn right on HWY 63 ( there will be a caution light at this exit).....go about 10 more miles ( you will go through the town of Eclectic)...then turn left just before you get to kowaliga bridge ( very large bridge)...we will meet in front of the Church in the Pines

If you're coming from LaGrange just go to West Point get on Alabama 50 in Lanett through LaFayette to Camp Hill where you get on US 280 toward Dadeville and then turn left onto AL 63 at the giant US flag in Alex City.

For a short cut, when you top the hill coming up from the Tallapoosa River Bridge at Flint Hill Church take Coven Abbott Highway south at the sign for Wind Creek Park. Keep on CA Highway past the entrance to Wind Creek until it dead ends into AL 63 at Mount Zion Church. Go left on 63 for about 8 miles to K Bridge.

This way will save you a couple of hours by not going all the way to Tallassee.

Kowaliga Bridge is on Alabama 63 twelve miles south of Alexander City. Go over the new Kowaliga bridge and take the first right and you will see Russell Marina on your left, Church in the Pines on your right and a barracade straight ahead. Park at the Church, gear up and enter to the left of the barracade.

Go straight out until you hit about 25 feet and bear right. You will intersect with wooden bridge rubble. Bear north on the wooden rubble and you will find the concrete roadbed. We usually go out with the rubble on our right, cross-over and come back with the bridge on our right. Look closely in the Christmas trees for thousands of bass fingerlings and the occasional sleeping catfish. If you see something that looks like a blob of floating snot focus on it for it might be a freshwater jellyfish. That big thing - no its not a Tarpon, just a stripe.

You will need a dive flag or you will most likely get a ticket. You will also need to bring all the breathing gas that you think you will need because there is no place to get fills.

Have lunch at Sinclairs on the point. Just be wary of AUCade and the clan. They are totally a wonderful bunch of folks who will overwhelm you with enthusiasm.

If you choose to stay the night there is camping at Wind Creek and inexpensive motels in Alexander City. (My home town)

Last edited:
Can you repeat that again? Kiddin. Thanks for the details, I should have no problems. Will see you 7:30 am cst on Saturday, June 6th.

I'd love to, but the plan is to dive Vortex and Cypress this weekend and PC next weekend.
Monica

Ya'll still goin in the morning? I'd like to tag along, I just wanna make sure someone's gonna be there!:D

AUCade,

Sorry you couldn't join us for lunch. The grouper sandwich was delicious. We had a great time and appreciate the hospitality you showed us. As long as we didn't slow you down, we would love to join again soon. What a neat family!

Mark

Tom,

Thanks for the directions. They were very helpful. We stayed at the state park and ate at Sinclairs. You were right- great group.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom