Alabama Point Jetties Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll see if my dive buddy wants to go....is this a good place for spear guns or should we leave them home?

We have 3mm suits and no hoods.... the coldest I have dove was the springs.... I bet this will be painful... I'm a water snob too.... I like to dive in the COLD through pictures and NOT in the wet stuff.

Speaking as a physically WELL INSULATED newbie, 3mm ain't gonna make you feel real good. But, If the weather holds, it should be a little warmer than last Sunday.

I'll see if my dive buddy wants to go....is this a good place for spear guns or should we leave them home?

We have 3mm suits and no hoods.... the coldest I have dove was the springs.... I bet this will be painful... I'm a water snob too.... I like to dive in the COLD through pictures and NOT in the wet stuff.

I've dove those temps with a 2-piece 3mm and been ok, but I don't think I'd try it with a one piece 3mm, and I absolutely, positively, would not ever dive those temps without a hood (at least 5mm). "significant shrinkage" does not even begin to describe a 30 minute dive with that gear :rofl3:

There are very strict regs regarding Jetties and spearing. For the most part it is illegal in FL, but I'm not sure about AL. In FL you can only spear if beyond 100yds from shore or the jetties beginning or something like that.

Immediate and intense ice-cream headache in the low-60s and high 50s F. Only did those temps once without a hood(my buddy wouldn't dive without a hood - so he got mine and I got the dive in).

It SUCKS, go buy a hood. I've done it with a hood in a one-piece 3mm on SEVERAL occassions though - its tolerable :)

There are very strict regs regarding Jetties and spearing. For the most part it is illegal in FL, but I'm not sure about AL. In FL you can only spear if beyond 100yds from shore or the jetties beginning or something like that.

AL doesn't have any silly spearfishing regulations :) Get your license and go have fun off the beaches, jetties, bridge, seawall, whatever.

Just keep in mind the visibility. Don't go shooting a gun with a 20' range in 5' of visibility. Plenty often does the visibility at AL Point allow for spearguns, but not always! Bring a polespear as well, just in case.

Back
Top Bottom