Aladin Prime Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ClarkKent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know if it is possible to interface the Aladin Prime with a PC without using the uwatec usb infrared adapter.

My PC laptop does have infrared but I canot seem to get them to communicate.

If anyone knows of a work around any help would be appreciated.

I bought a generic IR device for $20 and it works fine. Came with software.

Google "usb IR link" and start shopping

Yes, any generic IR adapter should work - I use Belkin.

Which PC and which operating system are you using?

Before buying a new IR adapter:
- Try changing the speed of IR communication in your Aladin.
- Check if the IR device has an installed driver
- If it doesn't, read this knowledge article (assuming you're using XP).

I had an UWATEC Aladin TEC 2G and I used a generic USB IR dongle. It worked fine; but, IIRC, the window on my Aladin was very touchy about reading the IR. You had to angle the dongle just right and keep it in that position for it to communicate. I use the same IR dongle for my UWATEC Smart TEC, but it doesn't seem to be as sensitive to dongle placement for it to read. Might be a different window used on the Smart than the Aladin line.

Thanks for the tips.

I will try changing the speed again and the angles.

My Palm has an app that allows me to use it. I download to the Palm then download the palm to my computer. The IR lenses seem to work best about an inch apart for me.

Another hint: I've had problems connecting with IR if I used it in the sun or outside in strong lighting conditions - too much "light noise".

Most digital cameras also detect IR, so you can see if both interfaces are active. You could try it first with a TV remote or a working IR device to see if your camera detects IR.

My Experience: Bought an unused Prime on Ebay and could not get it to communicate with my desktop pc so I looked through the different forums on the subject; I discovered that some Primes had a problem (manufacturing fault ?) in the irda. So I took it to my LDS and they sent it away to Uwatec. I received a new Prime for the cost of the transport. This replacement Prime worked fine in communicating with my pc.
I finally bought an unleaded irda transceiver for my netbook (example in the attachment).

My suggestion: go to your local LSD and ask if they can get the Prime to communicate with their PC (go when the LDS is not busy). If it does work it sounds like it will need to be sent back to Uwatec (the LDS should know what to do)

Attachments

• irda01.jpg
    irda01.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 455
So I have discovered that my PC's IR port is a Receiver only, so I am headed to the local comp store to get an IR/USB port....

I was using my PC as my Mac's IR port is also Receiver also, but really I want to use this with my mac.... anyone had any experiences on a mac ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom