Alberta Diving anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Going to be up in Edmonton in mid April to July for work and was just wondering are there any places to dive within reasonable drive time? I really don't plan on bringing much equipment with me, but I can dive dry if theres a shop that will rent gear! any advice would be appreciated! I'm interested in Wrecks, quarry's, lakes and even rivers, I'm not picky.

Thank you for your time,
Jayce Crain

Jayce, There are a few lakes close to Edmonton, but not anything exceptionally interesting that I am aware of that is within an hour or so of Edmonton, some other users may have some suggestions though. There is a group that dives regularly out of twin lakes (about an hour and a half from Edmonton) you can find them on facebook here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/212330598814913/?ref=ts&fref=ts There is also the Alberta Underwater Council (Alberta Underwater Council) that runs events around Alberta, you may be able to find some events to join up with from mid may to july (not much local diving before that anyway). There is is some decent diving in jasper and Banff but it is a little further to drive. If your looking for lakes and quarries let me know and I can suggest a few. For historical sites, in Jasper there is the Habakkuk (Project Habakkuk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). In Banff there the remains of a submerged town(Minnewanka Landing) that was flood around the turn of the century. Both of those sites you will need a boat to reach. Banff also has a couple of flooded dam sites that can be dove as well. Banff and Jasper are roughly 4 hours from Edmonton. If you find yourself in the Calgary area, contact the Underwater Outlaws to find some dive buddies (www.underwateroutlaws.com). Waterton is a little further (far south like 6 hours from Edmonton) but it has the remains of an old paddle wheeler and a lake that gets quite deep (deeper than you will want to go...) and vis may be better. You will definitely want to dive dry, the lakes around here can get quite cold, and only the very hardy will use wetsuits. There are many good shops around in both Calgary and Edmonton. In Edmonton I can vouch for Jack at Sub Sea Experience. If you are looking for suggestions in Calgary, let me know and I can pass along some suggestions.

Some really good responses here. I'll just add a couple more tips. The Dive Outfitters and Northwest Scuba have both offered weeknight dives during the summer diving season. TDO go to Twin on Wednesdays and Northwest goes to Narrow Lake (can't remember the day). Aquatek also offers regular summer dives at local lakes and go to Cold Lake on a regular basis for weekend trips.

Closest wrecks to Edmonton-Habbakuk in Jasper (3.5 hour drive). Minnewanka townsite and dam in Banff (4 hour drive). Gertrude in Waterton (6 hour drive). Anscomb in Kootenay Lake (9 hour drive to the ferry).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom