Albuterol before a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

frankster1138

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi, sort of a specific question here. I know a diver who took a hit of albuterol (last thing before heading into the water) before a dive and was wondering if there was any idea/opinion on how safe this may be. I was shocked by the action, and voiced my concern to him. I am leery of any medication/alcohol/drug/whatever before diving, and he may be considered somewhat of a care-free person.

The thing that worried me is that albuterol can really make some people hyper, combined with being under pressure. Who knows.

Oh, one more thing, he is not an asthmatic! Go figure.

frankster1138:
Hi, sort of a specific question here. I know a diver who took a hit of albuterol (last thing before heading into the water) before a dive and was wondering if there was any idea/opinion on how safe this may be. I was shocked by the action, and voiced my concern to him. I am leery of any medication/alcohol/drug/whatever before diving, and he may be considered somewhat of a care-free person.

The thing that worried me is that albuterol can really make some people hyper, combined with being under pressure. Who knows.

Oh, one more thing, he is not an asthmatic! Go figure.

I don't know how he came about the drug but it would be similiar to using an over the counter med to open airways.

First off, I seriously doubt the person will harm them selves by taking a hit of albuteral before going down.

Now, you say this person isn't asthmatic. In that case the drug wont do anything to help him. Albuteral opens up restricted airways. If his are normal to begin with, I can't see what benifit he would be gaining. As for the side effects of the drug, they could only decrease his efficiency. Albuteral causes an increased heart beat, and a corosponding increase (and shallowness) of breathing. But I haven't noticed a dramatic rise from a single hit (YMMV). I have done nebulizer albuteral treatments that left me feeling horrible from the effects, but it DID clear up my bronci.
So if your friend is trying to increase his RMV, he's really only hurting it.

FD

Why on earth would someone take inhaled albuterol who wasn't an asthmatic?

An asthmatic symptomatic enough to be using albuterol (which is a rapid onset bailout drug, used when symptoms flare beyond the ability of the chronic medications to control them) is really running a significant risk by going underwater. Most people don't realize it, but the big problem in asthma is not INHALING, but EXHALING -- you can't empty your airspaces properly. Trapped air is a setup for pneumothorax or air embolism.

In addition, albuterol is a beta agonist, and although selective, does still have cardiac effects. It increases cardiac irritability and risk of arrhythmias.

I would consider this to be absolutely contraindicated, both from the possible side effects of the medication, and because the need for it indicates a pathology which significantly increases the risk of harm by diving.

Well, I use albuterol before diving. BUT, I have exercise-induced asthma and only use it as a precaution to avoid the narrowing of my airway. VERY rarely do I have an onset of an actual asthma "attack" and even then it is only under extreme exercise. BUT, if he said that he didn't have asthma then first, where did he get the albuterol as it is prescription only, and second WHY? It's not like it tastes great :)

Boy, Rogaine, it is my understanding that exercise-induced asthma is one of the most frowned upon for divers, simply because things associated with diving (moving gear, surface swims) are most likely to bring it on.

I recently was on a boat with a person who kept an albuteral inhaler in their BC pocket!

My wife has mild asthma and is cleared to dive and permitted (not urged) to take a dose of Albuterol before diving.

Her astma is mild and not exercise or cold related. Summertime allergies and wintertime dust are her problems. We have reviewed the risk of lungs not venting and she knows to call the dive beforehand if she feels other than "clear" This has yet to be an issue.
Our bottom line, see your doctor, the antagonist plays a part in your clearance to dive. You can still find some dated articals online stating that any asthma is a cotradiction to diving. As I recall this is most common out of the US, I'm recalling the UK and Australia. In the US they seem to be taking it on a 1 on 1 basis.

We are not doctors but contribute to their boat payments. :)

Pete

It's already been said, but albuterol for a non-asthmatic before diving?!?!?!? He's not doing a thing to help himself. He's just creating side effects that he doesn't need while diving, and are actually probably having the opposite effect of what he's trying to achieve.

My wife is also asthmatic. She very rarely has symptoms or needs meds. Her asthma is typically brought on by environmental allergies and food allergies. She will, on a rare occasion, take a hit off her inhaler before a dive if her environmental allergies are acting up. By the time we hit the water she feels better and the nice thing is that her allergies go away completely underwater. If only we could live down there. Keep in mind, though, that she's never gone diving with real bad symptoms to begin with.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom