Aliikai Liveaboard Raja Ampat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kendall Raine

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Has anyone heard of/been on this boat? It looks very nice (what boat doesn't put nice pictures on its website) but seems to be kind of a hybrid dive boat/cruise vessel (phinisi style) for people who want to spend as much time above water as below-doesn't have that LOB vibe (i.e. no specs on the compressor or loads of awesome u/w photos). Asking for a friend who is cruising/diving Raja in November 2023.

Many thanks,

@Kendall Raine

We have not been on the boat but have heard about it. A couple of years before the pandemic a group of our friends chartered a similar boat for a private trip diving Komodo. That went so well we are now considering a similar trip through RA, the Aliikai was on the list of boats recommended to us by an agent in Bali.

You mentioned the hybrid feel of the boat - that's good insight (because it's true). This is a cruising boat that offers diving. If chartered for a private dive trip I'm sure it functions well, but it's clear the owners are targeting the private cruising market, while offering diving (the online brochure on their site is telling). I have no insight into how good the dive guides are, etc.

There is a set of boats available for private charter throughout Indonesia (Komodo, RA, etc.) and other parts of SE Asia that target this kind of "luxury" adventure travel, which may include diving/snorkeling, hiking, exploring, surfing, paddle boarding, bird watching, cultural visits, etc. Often they offer diving, but aren't necessarily "diving focused." Many of these are chartered by groups of friends, extended families, etc.

My guess is they can't fill their schedule completely with private charters so their are running a hybrid schedule. As you mentioned, the images shown (and information provided) say a lot about the clientele they would like to attract.

There is a good chance that this was an older dive LOB that was sold and recently retrofitted for cruising as well (I read somewhere it recently underwent a significant retrofit).

@Kendall Raine

We have not been on the boat but have heard about it. A couple of years before the pandemic a group of our friends chartered a similar boat for a private trip diving Komodo. That went so well we are now considering a similar trip through RA, the Aliikai was on the list of boats recommended to us by an agent in Bali.

You mentioned the hybrid feel of the boat - that's good insight (because it's true). This is a cruising boat that offers diving. If chartered for a private dive trip I'm sure it functions well, but it's clear the owners are targeting the private cruising market, while offering diving (the online brochure on their site is telling). I have no insight into how good the dive guides are, etc.

There is a set of boats available for private charter throughout Indonesia (Komodo, RA, etc.) and other parts of SE Asia that target this kind of "luxury" adventure travel, which may include diving/snorkeling, hiking, exploring, surfing, paddle boarding, bird watching, cultural visits, etc. Often they offer diving, but aren't necessarily "diving focused." Many of these are chartered by groups of friends, extended families, etc.

My guess is they can't fill their schedule completely with private charters so their are running a hybrid schedule. As you mentioned, the images shown (and information provided) say a lot about the clientele they would like to attract.

There is a good chance that this was an older dive LOB that was sold and recently retrofitted for cruising as well (I read somewhere it recently underwent a significant retrofit).
Thank you cetacean. You confirmed my impressions. From the website, the boat was indeed primarily a private charter enterprise (2008-2019) until just before Covid when it was overhauled/refit and migrated to more of a traditional per passenger LOB model. The current itineraries are light on diving (1-2/day) and have more shore trips/village visits than a typical RA LOB.

Your remark about the dive guides is well taken. The only review I could find on the diving was some vague reference to "great boat, food, crew but disorganized dive operation." Nothing in Undercurrent or on SB-says a lot. I will recommend my friend use common sense/not take anything dive related for granted and bail on any dive/situation that doesn't seem right.

Again, thank you.

I know nothing about the boat , but Raja is not necessarily a great place to have an inexperienced dive staff. I only spent about 3 weeks there, but in my experience some sites (Manta Ridge) can be pretty tricky even when dove correctly . In addition to this , the crew on our liveaboard were also were continually adjusting sites based on tides/currents. Maybe the boat sticks to some easier sites where conditions are less variable. Also, while I don’t think November is the absolute peak season, I don’t think it is exactly low season either. Coordination with other vessels regarding dive sites might be a little tricky. Just things I would be aware of

If you want a diving liveaboard, I recommend sticking to an experienced company whose sole business model is diving.

Thanks for the feedback. This is not the boat I would choose for LOB diving in RA (my attitude about remote diving is go with pros or don't go at all) but may be exactly what my friend is looking for in terms of cruising with the chance to dive occasionally. Points about dive op competence/familiarity with sites/currents/conditions all good. Will relay to friend.

Appreciate the comments.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom