Alkin Compressors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Compressor

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello:

Can anyone tell me how much one of those Alkin W31 Compressor Series and W32 Mariner Compressor Series costs??

Also anyone have favorable experience with this compressor line,

Thank you

for either gas or electric.

I own one and like it. Its not the fastest thing out there (none of the small capacity units are) but it does the job, turns slow (1200 RPMs), and has no problem running up to its pop-off (mine is set for 315 bar) I have the 220V single phase model.

You could probably fill a bank with one, but you'd want to add auto drains to it if you were going to do that, a final pressure switch, and a mag-starter (the latter is required to use the pressure switch), so there would be some retrofitting and work required.

I'd also point a nice big stand fan at it for auxiliary cooling in an application where it was going to run for hours at a time; you can't overdo the cooling, but you can underdo it! :)

PM me if you'd like a phone number for the place that I got mine from.

Any idea if they offer the same compressor in 115v? I'd like to have something that is portable that I can plug in at hotels when I travel to locations that we can't easily get fills.

What is the draw(in amps) on your 220v version?

Mike

I don't know if you could reasonably retrofit it either.

The 220V unit runs off a 20A breaker; I believe the published steady-state draw is 13A or thereabouts. At 115V you'd need a 30A circuit to run it at least, and perhaps even more given that you have to START it.

It would be easy to rig a cordset to plug into a 220V dryer outlet, since most of those are set up as 30A/220V, which gives you more than enough power. You'd need the cordset and a box to put in the receptacle, with an appropriate length cord. That works for a lot of rental places (condo, etc), but won't work in a hotel.

You might want to consider gas-powered if you need to run it in remote locations.... the only problem with the gas ones is that they are loud (engine noise, not compressor noise!) and you have to deal with the fuel and (crankcase) oil issues.

Any advantage to a 220V? Does the electirc company have to come and modify the power to the house??

compressor once bubbled...
Any advantage to a 220V? Does the electirc company have to come and modify the power to the house??

Most homes are wired for 220v to run dryers, AC, and ovens. Home 220v is single phase. If you don't have 220v where you want it, e.g., garage, have an electrician install it.

The Gas 5.5 hp Honda powered models cost $300 more than the electric models. For most people I recommend the electric models, they are quieter, less maintenence and no worries of exhuast fumes. The electric model starts at the flip of a switch every time. The ALKIN is factory aproved for filling cascade systems we just like for you to let it cool off if you are going to be running more than 4 hours straight. Curly

I bought an Alkin w31 about 2 months ago (June 2005). I searched high and low. I looked at all the models out there. I looked at new ones, used one, military surplus... you name it. I bought an Alkin and I cannot be happier.

I also found that the staff at AireTex (Kay and Deigo.. hope I spelled that right) are Very nice and helpful. Great people to call and ask questions to. I did not feel like an idiot for asking questions most people buying a compresor should know. Also, this is the best part, I ordered it on a Friday from Texas, it arrived in Virginia Monday morning

I do have to recommend to anyone though, buy a storage bottle (444cf 4500 psi tank) or 2 or 3 of them. You will run your compressor a while to get them full but you will run it alot less to fill or top off tanks. This saves the internal parts of the compressor that bang around at the inital start-up (This happens on ALL HP compressors not just Alkin).

If anyone wants to see my setup via pictures or in person, please email me directly at contact@chesterdiveclub.com. I am 1/4 mile off of exit 54 on I-95 in Virginia (Lake Rawlings Area) Again, my opinion is non bias and this is not a publicity post for Alkin, just another diver giving his two cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom