All about the backup regulator necklace

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UWSojourner

Contributor
Reaction score
Is the "necklace" that holds the secondary a choke hazard? Was wondering if the piece of line breaks if pulled (or entangled)?

It's usually bungee or surgical tubing - stretchy stuff. *Never* heard of anyone having choking issues. Not sure how you could get it entangled - it's around your neck, no big loops sticking out to catch stuff on. Stop thinking so hard about things that can go wrong! :D

were to become entangled, you're carrying knives and/or shears, right?

Cut it off...

Ok ... that answers my question. I saw some pictures posted here and it looked like cord.

Yeah, I know, I think about EVERYTHING that could go wrong. Thanks.

Scubaroo:
It's usually bungee or surgical tubing - stretchy stuff. *Never* heard of anyone having choking issues. Not sure how you could get it entangled - it's around your neck, no big loops sticking out to catch stuff on. Stop thinking so hard about things that can go wrong! :D

UWSojourner:
Is the "necklace" that holds the secondary a choke hazard? Was wondering if the piece of line breaks if pulled (or entangled)?

There are two ways that the necklace is commonly made. One uses a seperate necklace that goes around the neck, and had a "loop" in it for securing the mouthpiece. The loop holds the mouthpiece fairly securely, but it will easily pull loose if necessary.

Another method is a piece of small diameter bungee cord with a "stopper knot" in each free end of it. Each end is then secured under the ziptie that holds the mouthpiece in place and the "stopper knot" keeps it from pulling out. The benefit to this method is that your necklace is always attached to the reg, so you never forget to bring it.

I used the first method for a long time, but recently switched to the second. As far as I'm concerned they both work equaly well and I have never had any choking or entanglement issue with either method.

I tried strangling myself (unintentionally) with it early on in my move to DIR... I took my rig off either underwater or on land, think it was after a dive, and forgot to remove the necklace.... it's so strechy and what not, it only pulled on me, and made me feel like a fool.... Thankfully I don't think anyone saw me do it....

Of course, with it underwater, it's supposed to be close to your body, thus keeping the regulator from having water flow over the mouthpeice (preventing freeflow) and shouldn't be far enough away to even catch on anything and allow you to choke.... Equally on the backside, you'd have to practically impale yourself to get the necklace caught on anything.

Thanks. I'd like to give the necklace a shot. This probably sounds really lame, but what type of chord do you guys make it from? Where do you get it?

Yes, I've seen chord in camping supply stores etc, but didn't know if there was other "stuff" these things were made from.

I was a bit aprehensive about trying it but have never really even noticed wearing it. Is not noticable in the least.......at least to me.

That's why I want to try it. I find my Octo not in an ideal place. Would like to streamline a bit. As for the 70' primary hose, not ready for that yet.

5615mike:
I was a bit aprehensive about trying it but have never really even noticed wearing it. Is not noticable in the least.......at least to me.

UWSojourner:
Thanks. I'd like to give the necklace a shot. This probably sounds really lame, but what type of chord do you guys make it from? Where do you get it?

Yes, I've seen chord in camping supply stores etc, but didn't know if there was other "stuff" these things were made from.

You have about 3 options.

#1 buy the necklace from Halcyon

#2 make it out of surgical tubing

#3 make it out of bungee cord (shock cord)

My preference is #3, and I get my bungee from: http://www.reefscuba.com/bungee.htm

Sometimes you can find it locally, I went to pretty much every hardware and any other store which might sell it in my area, and always came up short, though you can sometimes find like bungee's made for like tarp tie downs etc (found a few here even) and canabalize them into the right job... ordering it from Reef Scuba, you can get the fashionable black, or white with blue stripes.

As for the 7' primary hose, you always have the alternative of a 5' hose, it routes much the same way, but less hose to deal with.... I also seem to recall hearing of a few people using the 3' hose for thier primary, but this of course is not a prefered method.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom