All dive gear as carry on? To/from Mexico?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can bring your DIR compliant broken steak knife in your checked bag. Mexico is also funny about batteries in carry- on luggage. Definitely no lithium-ion, and not even regular AAs. They need to be checked. It's the opposite of the US TSA requirements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My question (for curiosities sake) is why bother? There's plenty of other stuff to bring along on a live-aboard. Why not just pack a bag and check it. I've done it for decades and never had an issue. Well,,, except for an occasional missing dive knife.

^when a couple (or few) thousand dollars worth of equipment goes missing, you will be kicking yourself for not bringing it carryon

My question (for curiosities sake) is why bother? There's plenty of other stuff to bring along on a live-aboard. Why not just pack a bag and check it. I've done it for decades and never had an issue. Well,,, except for an occasional missing dive knife.

I agree. The OP is planning for what in my opinion is a pretty remote contingency. The vast majority of divers heading off for liveaboard trips check their bags with the airlines. In reality, very few bags are truly lost--most that don't make it to the destination with the traveler are reunited with the traveler within a day or two. Gear stolen out of bags is uncommon, too, and I can't imagine thieves want to steal the bulky stuff like BCs and wetsuits, or even regs. If I were doing a major liveaboard in a far-off destination, like Indonesia or the Philippines or something--I would arrive a couple of days in advance. If my travel plans involved multiple legs on different airlines, I might take greater precautions, such as carrying-on the most difficult to replace and most expensive gear. (I always carry on my computer and mask, and sometimes my regs.) But for a single flight from the US to Mexico I would not bother trying to take everything in the cabin with me as carry-on baggage, as the burdens would outweigh the benefits in my opinion.

Yeah, I thought $180 was pricey, too. It's the M/V Valentina. They charge $30/day for everything except computer (extra $10/day) which for 6 days comes to $180. That's why I'm considering this. I think it will work - I've tried and I can get everything into my carry on except the BCD. I'll wear the BCD (of course removing it and putting it in a bin to go through security, as we have to do with any jacket) and stow it overhead in the plane (again, as most people do with bulky jackets). If TSA doesn't have a problem with BCD's in carry on luggage (which many people have confirmed for me they don't), it should work fine. As for the poster wondering why on a liveaboard, actually I need much less stuff on a liveaboard than a regular trip. Mostly in bare feet and swimsuit all day, so fewer clothes necessary. No dress-ups, just t-shirts & shorts.

Yikes, $30/week was the number I have seen on other boats. Personally I have never had a bag delayed but that is a business decision you make for yourself. Good luck on the trip. Post a report when you get back.

Even at $200, I would be willing to risk it compared to having to deal with all that, but to each their own and good luck with it. Perhaps check a bag they can lose so you can feel it was worth it! :)

You will be able to stay under the weight limit for carryons though, right? I just carry a CPAP machine, cameras. and dive computer and I'm already getting tired of lugging all that because it still adds up to 20 something pounds.

I tend to arrive earlier which would probably add up to more in hotel bill but that's mostly because of I'm afraid of the flight itself getting screwed up. Some idiot decides they want to get drunk and throw a fit so they redirect the plane these days. Didn't mean to throw another variable in your equation but that is more what my fear is, besides somebody getting me sick on the way there (worry #3).

. . .
I tend to arrive earlier which would probably add up to more in hotel bill but that's mostly because of I'm afraid of the flight itself getting screwed up. Some idiot decides they want to get drunk and throw a fit so they redirect the plane these days. Didn't mean to throw another variable in your equation but that is more what my fear is, besides somebody getting me sick on the way there (worry #3).

I think that's the best precaution against all sorts of contingencies. Planning to arrive the evening before a liveaboard departs is risky for more reasons than lost luggage. Delays happen more frequently than lost luggage. But again, if we're talking about a single flight from a major US airport to a major Mexican airport, I think the risks of missing the boat, missing your luggage, or any other misfortune are low. You and your luggage will arrive just fine, just like thousands of other travelers before you.

Back
Top Bottom