All help appreciated

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WANNA SCUBA

Reaction score
# of dives
Hello Everyone. I am looking to get certified and dive this year. I am totally new to this and don't know squat.

I want to be able to dive in my spare time and on vacations I'm not looking to become a pro.

What certification would accomplish this?

What gear do I need to start collecting? What's the best place to get em?

Any other info is also welcome.

Thanks and Happy Diving!!

Wanna Scuba,

WELCOME !!!! to the ScubaBoard !!!!
We're glad you're here.

To answer your first question, a basic open water diver certification is all one needs to enjoy the wonders of scuba diving. However, I guarnatee you that once you start diving, you won't stop at BOW.

The first things that you will need are a mask, fins, booties (if using open heel fins) and a snorkel.

The mask fit is crucial. If your mask doesn't fit properly it will leak. Your fins and boots need to fit correctly, also. The snorkle is pretty much just a piece of pipe, so I wouldn't go overboard and let some dive shop slick salesman talk you into buying a $40 snorkel. The $19.95 snorkel will work just fine.

If you so desire, you can start acquiring your heavy duty gear, wet suit, B/C, regulators, gauges and so forth.

Any of the modern popular brand gear will service you well.

Welcome to the wonderful world of scuba diving.

And I hope you will always have . . .

Safe dives . . . . . . . . .
. . . and safer ascents !

the K

Find a course that lets you take your time. You don't want a "condensed course." Scuba takes time and practice. Too many people rush through the course and think they are "Joe diver." That's how you get hurt. Once you do it, you wil be addicted :D I now understand crack addicts :D

another welcome to scubaboard....you've got some good advice already!

guys we are forgetting one very important detail ,you must be certified to buy scuba gear. They will sell you basic gear like mask, snorkle,fins but you wont be able to purchase diving gear from a dive shop without basic certification. the best thing for you to do is to locate you local diving shop and call them. most have instructers that can lead you down the path to certification for open water it was 2 classroom days and 1 day pool diving and 1 day doing your checkout dives. in otherwords plan on 2 whole weekends. welcome to diving its the best thing that has ever happened to me. if you are ever in orlando look me up i can show you where to find fossle shark teeth while diving.

So when was the last time someone asked for your C-card when you were buying gear? :11:

Where in CA are you? I would go out to where the divers are and ask them questions in person... If you are here near the Bay area come on down to Monterey and ask around... there will be a ton of instructors and classes there this weekend... (plus some plane ol joe diver types like me)

Welcome to ScubaBoard!

The gear that you will need to start diving in California will be a mask, snorkel, fins, boots, and gloves. You may be able to rent the rest of the gear from the place that you decide where to take your lessons from. For California diving, you'll need a hood too but that may come with the rentals.

To dive you will only need a open water course. I recommend that you don't stop there though. You will gain experience and knowledge if you continue up through a rescue-type course. Different certification agencies offer different courses.

Have a great time!! California has some great diving and I've met some fantastic people on this board.

rebelmandziukan:
guys we are forgetting one very important detail ,you must be certified to buy scuba gear. They will sell you basic gear like mask, snorkle,fins but you wont be able to purchase diving gear from a dive shop without basic certification. the best thing for you to do is to locate you local diving shop and call them. most have instructers that can lead you down the path to certification for open water it was 2 classroom days and 1 day pool diving and 1 day doing your checkout dives. in otherwords plan on 2 whole weekends. welcome to diving its the best thing that has ever happened to me. if you are ever in orlando look me up i can show you where to find fossle shark teeth while diving.

They will sell you every scuba rear you want, but not tank and they will not fill any tank without the C card.
milos

You don't have to be certified to by scuba gear, or tanks for that matter.
You do have to be certified to get tanks filled.

the K

Welcome to :sblogo:
:wave-smil :wave-smil
:chicken:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom