"All the Men in the Sea" by Micheal Krieger

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DaleC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
All the Men in the Sea; The untold story of one of the greatest rescues in history by Micheal Krieger.
The Free Press publishing (Simon and Schuster Inc.) New York. 2002. ISBN 0-7432-2708-5
HC 222 pg's with photos.

I bought this book because of the following passage in the overleaf:

"The company was behind schedule, but when hurricane Roxanne approached, the divers had to return to the barge on the surface and it's decompression chamber. Any mishap that might force them to leave this chamber prematurely would result in every blood vessel in their bodies popping like a champagne cork".

I vaguely remembered a story about commercial divers caught in a Sat chamber when an Oil field barge capsized and thought this must be it. It is not. That was an earlier fatal mishap (1991) that befell Derrick barge 29.

This is the story of DLB 269 with 245 men on board that was caught in a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico in Oct 1995; it's sinking and the subsequent rescue of most of the crew by three ships, the Ducker Tide, the Seabulk North Carolina and the Captain John.
It is told in a straight forward style and deals with the incident, stories from the men in the water, behind the scene actions on land and some of the reasons for the tragedy occuring.
I won't spoil the story by telling you whether the divers get out of the chamber or not but it is not a diving story per se though it may be of interest to commercial divers or general nautical types.

As a side note; if anyone knows of a text that deals with the DB 29 disaster I would appreciate a link or title/author info.

Sounds good, thanks for the info. I always seem to be drawn to nautical type incidents whether diving related or not...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom