Alligator in 60 ft. of Seawater Off Palm Beach, FL?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickI

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
100428-102448-0023.jpg

From: TheLivingSea :: Underwater Photos and Scuba Diving Stories

Laz not only saw this off the Breakers, he captured both still and video images of it. Saltwater alligators, thought that was the crocs domain what few are left and closer to Miami.

More at: Underwater Photo Of The Day - Page 2 - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

Would that be a Cayman alligator? Very interesting...

Last edited:
Fish often (usually) have osmoregulatory issues with bouncing between salt and freshwater. Crocodilians can tolerate salinity changes much like we do: they don't have to drink it. Saltwater crocs can drink it because they have coping mechanisms such as salt glands located around the tongue that excrete excess salt from the body. In addition to drinking, fish need the water to breathe as well, thus sending the water in contact with thin, membranous surfaces that are sensitive to changes in osmotic pressure. I'd be curious to know if this alligator found its way back to shore.

Thanks for your input. Found another account stating they may stay in seawater for up to a week. It seems alligator sightings on the beach and in the ocean aren't as rare as I initially thought. Perhaps in times past it was even common before development and population depletion took hold. With restored gator populations, perhaps they are spreading out a bit? The network of canals and storm sewers could make getting around a bit easier in some cases. More sighting info at: http://fksa.org/showthread.php?p=45210#post45210

Last edited:
A UF researcher did a study with young alligators keeping them in saltwater for six days. It seems larger individuals might go even longer. More at: ScienceDirect - Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Physiology : Adaptations of Crocodylus acutus and Alligator for life in saline water Then there was the gator seen swimming with whales 20 miles offshore of GA and one near an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico, over 40 miles offshore. I spoke to a Fish & Game alligator expert about this. He estimated an alligator might cover 10 to 15 miles swimming a day fairly easily. This would suggest a fairly long outings for these gators. He also indicated that gators in clearwater may lay motionless on the bottom waiting for prey, like a stonefish. Wonder if that is what this gator was up to? If so, glad things worked out for Laz and his buddy. Some unusual photo ops might be more hazardous than others! More about all this at: Alligator Photographed By 60 ft. Reef Off Palm Beach, FL - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

dumb question here. Can they bite you underwater?

The only reason I asked is because once I was going to dive the Cooper River for shark teeth.

The DM said there are gators in the water but they can't bite you underwater. I wasn't comfortable with that...

Considering that many crocodilians eat fish and they drag their prey into water before eating it, I'd say yes, they can bite underwater.

Alligators aren't the only landlocked reptiles known to swim many miles at sea. Komodo dragons are known to swim from island to island and eastern diamondback rattlesnakes have been found as many as 30 or more miles out from shore. Human breathing rests at the bottom of the breath, when the person is least buoyant. Rattlesnakes, on the other hand, rest with their lungs filled to capacity, meaning that they can effortlessly stay afloat for a long time. While we're on the subject, Crocodiles and alligators have special lungs called multicameral lungs that don't work like ours. Their have many chambers that spiral around each other branching off from one main chamber. I don't know what this means for resting period of a crocodilian breath.

Back
Top Bottom