Alligators?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I must plead my ignorance here with respect to this particular reptile, but do gators normally feed on prey they find on land or in water? Or are they predators of opportunity?

the K-ator

The Kraken:
Well, thanks to you I just completely wasted a perfectly good Michelob !!!
You old Jackazzz !!! :D

the K-omeuppence

Don't worry Walter it's only a Michelob

sort of like making love in a canoe - only with gators around

Scubastud16:
Alligators won't bother you. Walter provided some good information I'm sure, but from all of us who were born/have lived in Florida for a while; if you don't go messing around with gators, they won't go messing around with you.

I disagree. I screw with them all the time and they don't get aggressive with me. They're pretty easy to run them off if you just chase after them. But you gotta do it like you mean it or they will call your bluff.

Now if it's nesting or mating season, you may want to back off a little bit.

The Kraken:
I must plead my ignorance here with respect to this particular reptile, but do gators normally feed on prey they find on land or in water? Or are they predators of opportunity?

the K-ator

I found a few items of interest.

Corkscrew Audubon:
Food
primarily fish (catfish in photo at right), but also insects, crabs, frogs, snails, turtles, snakes, birds, raccoons, otters, deer, and smaller alligators
known to eat already dead animals on occasion

Merthod
small prey swallowed whole
alligator bites down on larger prey repeatedly using combination of sharp teeth and strong jaw muscles to break bones or shells so the whole item can be swallowed
large prey may also be shaken and slapped against water or shore to rip off swallowing-sized pieces
alligators roll under water with very large prey, submerging victim and drowning it
dead prey dragged around or guarded until meat rots enough so it's soft enough to be ripped apart and swallowed

University of Florida:
Alligators and Floridians usually have a peaceful coexistence, but there are recorded attacks and occasional fatalities. The key to staying safe is being alert to the possibility of alligators being present. Never feed gators or swim or wade in waters where large alligators are known or likely to occur, especially at dusk or night (when they naturally feed). It is illegal to feed alligators. When humans feed alligators, it causes the alligators to lose their natural fear of humans and to associate humans with food. It doesn't matter if people feed them human-food like marshmallows or throw them fish guts when cleaning fish, it's all bad. It changes the alligator's behavior.
Normally, alligators avoid humans, but alligators that have been fed by humans will move toward humans and can become aggressive. Alligators that have been fed by humans are dangerous and should be reported to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

Its very important to keep children and pets away from the water's edge wherever alligators are likely to be present. Do not allow dogs to swim or explore waters that are known to have alligators because dogs look like prey to alligators. There are far more alligator attacks on dogs than on humans. An alligator's prey selection seems based mostly on size of the potential prey animal, not so much on a keen recognition of specific animals as prey or non-prey.

Everglades National Park:
Never get closer than 15 feet (5 meters) to an alligator. If it hisses or opens its mouth in defense, you should back away even farther. The park is a wilderness area. All animals are wild and should be treated with respect at all times.......................

The largest alligator ever recorded in Florida was 17 feet 5 inches long (5.3 meters). The largest alligator ever recorded measured 19 feet 2 inches (5.8 meters) and was found in Louisiana.

Crazy Fingers:
I disagree. I screw with them all the time and they don't get aggressive with me. They're pretty easy to run them off if you just chase after them. But you gotta do it like you mean it or they will call your bluff.

I'll send flowers.

Walter:
I'll send flowers.

Oyeee Geeeeezzzzz . . . !!!!!

There goes yet another Michelob !!!! :D

the K-racked Up

I have had four and five foot gators become very aggressive, charging boats and proclaiming their territory. Even though these smaller alligators are not too dangerous per se, they can injure you severely. Large gators tend to avoid people like the plague (ever wonder how they got so big?).

In the past I have hunted off lottery permits and will not comment on other activity with gators. I will say that if you feel the urge to "screw" with them, please take video so that we can all enjoy your pain. Your claims seem like buffoonery to me.

Joe

Crazy Fingers:

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom