Allowed on most dive boats?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jomcclain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I’m considering buying a first DPV as a Christmas gift for my husband. Before I do so, I’d want to make sure that he will have opportunities to use it. Have you often run into recreational dive boats that would not allow you to use a DPV?

depends on how big the dpv is, how big the boat is, and how much help he needs from the operators. Big boat, small dpv, no help required? No problem. Small boat, big dpv, help required, boat's full!

depends on how big the dpv is, how big the boat is, and how much help he needs from the operators. Big boat, small dpv, no help required? No problem. Small boat, big dpv, help required, boat's full!
I'm concerned about boats having a blanket rule against scooters. He's looking at a ScubaJet Pro, about 6 lbs. So it wouldn't be an issue of weight or room, just if lots of boats have rules against them. I contacted a few boats with this question. So far only two have gotten back to me, one said it would be ok to bring, one said NO, regardless of size.

I'm concerned about boats having a blanket rule against scooters. He's looking at a ScubaJet Pro, about 6 lbs. So it wouldn't be an issue of weight or room, just if lots of boats have rules against them. I contacted a few boats with this question. So far only two have gotten back to me, one said it would be ok to bring, one said NO, regardless of size.
ask forgiveness instead of permission but with something that small I'd be shocked if anyone said anything.

I'm sure it is location dependent. Up here in the Great Lakes, I personally wouldn't mind, and I doubt others would mind something that small. You want to bring a full sized Gavin aboard, then it will very much depend on fow full the boat is.

Will be very much location specific. Look at the boats website, see if there is anything listed. Probably in the fine print. Have you seen any on the boats you have been on? Some of the recreational boats I have been on are so packed there would be no room. At times there are issues just finding the room for the second tank for the second dive. Some boats, no issue at all.

ask forgiveness instead of permission but with something that small I'd be shocked if anyone said anything.
This. People are worried about you bringing 50-100 pound behemoths onto the boat and taking up space. The one you're looking at will be smaller than some people's camera setups. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Smaller than some cameras...

I've watched a guy unfold his strobes and when he was done the camera was wider than he was tall. Yes, camera setups can get rather massive.

Maybe its just me but I'd be rolling my eyes at the sight of a dpv on the boat lol

Hi @jomcclain

I see this is a companion thread. If your husband needs the DPV to reliably be able to make the dive, you could not afford to have the operator not allow you to use it. The only way to safely ensure this, would be to communicate with the operator ahead of time, perhaps explaining the details. Personally, I would not make assumptions, especially if the diving required travel.

I only have a dozen or so DPV dives, all were in Grand Cayman. About half were shore dives and half boat. These were with just 2 operators, only one is still in business, Divetech. The few boat dives were prearranged to be DPV dives, and not individual use during a regular boat dive.

As I stated in your other thread, both operators I use in Boynton Beach, FL allow DPVs, generally the large Tusa/Apollo riding scooters. I have not seen DPVs on the 4 operations I use in Jupiter and West Palm, and don't know their policies. I have seen DPVs off a couple of boats in San Diego, but that was quite a while ago.

I have been on liveaboards in the Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Revillagigedos, Malpelo, and the Cayman Islands, and have not seen anyone using a DPV. I have not seen DPVs used off regular boat charters in Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cayman Brac, Bonaire, Curacao, Roatan, Turks & Caicos, Cozumel, Oahu, or Maui. Of course, my experience is limited to a small number of operators and some of the experiences are dated.

Of course, you should have no problem if shore diving. We have seen an increasing number of DPVs being used off Bonaire in the last few visits.

Given the small size of the DPV you intend on using, and the specific purpose of the DPV, I would like to think operators might consider your request.

Best of luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom