Almost a thousand dollars for a light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Been reading this forum for a couple of day's now.

Good Lord!

Looks like if you want a reliable, bright, piercing beam with long battery life you need to spend between $750 and $1300.

DANG. I've got kids to feed!

I think I'm just going to buy the UK eLED 8....

:shakehead:

There are some (slightly) less expensive options.

A Dive Rite MR 11 10W HID can light can be had in the $450-$500 range and I have seen a couple sell used here in the $350-$400 range.

Old tech is always a lot less expensive as well. I'd sell my old Halogen OMS phantom can light for $150.00. It currently has a 20W bulb but will take up to 50 watts (with a shorter burn time) And I I'd throw in a set of batteries and hardware to wire up another battery pack.

The new Salvo 10W fixed focus light is in the 4 - 500 range, and it's a great little light.

When I started diving, I was aghast at paying $150 or so for a light. Then I found out what the can lights do for keeping buddies together and aiding communication, and I bought my first can light. It was a compromise, and when I came into a little money, I upgraded to a Salvo 21W. My husband came completely unglued: "THIRTEEN HUNDRED DOLLARS for a flipping FLASHLIGHT????!!!!"

Guess who has a Salvo 21W of his own now . . . :D

Thanks to everyone who posted so quickly.

I'm a touchy feely kind of guy. Sure wish there was a local dealer who stocked them all so I could compare and contrast before dropping cold cash.

All LDS say we can order, but then if I don't like it it's too bad, I've already bought it.

I like the Dive Rite brand and am looking at the new LED 500 corded and the H10 HID slimline.

:popcorn:

Been reading this forum for a couple of day's now.

Good Lord!

Looks like if you want a reliable, bright, piercing beam with long battery life you need to spend between $750 and $1300.

DANG. I've got kids to feed!

I think I'm just going to buy the UK eLED 8....

:shakehead:

What type of diving do you do?

i paid 400 for my used mr11
i saw them for 350 but this guy was local and the timing was right. I LOVE IT!

Look you don't have to sell your kids for a new dive light...I mean come on just sell one of their kidneys, do you know how much kidneys are going for now a days? Hell, you could even get a halcyon canister light for that wad of cash...:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom