almost died

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You Got it Man Diving alone is a recipe for disaster. There are too many dive groups and people of same mind not be able to find a dive buddy. Besides you can share the experience. Later Clampinator

I read in a science magazine that our children's children will be attending class at school with other children you have gills. :O

They expect to genetically engineer peeps that can excel in certain tasks. Such as underwater welding.

What do you guys think...? Fact or fiction?

(talk about a hijack!!!)

:)

Rec Diver:
In an out of air situation, how long would it take to grow gills?

Who was out of air? He had 2 regulators and a tank with air in it that was attached to him - and he couldn't find either air source.

RiverRat:
Exactly............I think a lot of folks were sleeping in their OW classes.
Kinda scary.

Granted I'm not as experienced as many here, but it seems to me that I talk to quite a few people who seem not to understand some of these basic things like the difference between embolism and DCS. Anyone who worries about getting bent from 6 feet obviously hasn't been taught correctly.

I see it even with some people I thought were "advanced" divers. Heck, I know they were advanced divers! They had the c-cards to prove it! :)

BlueDolphin:
They expect to genetically engineer peeps that can excel in certain tasks. Such as underwater welding.

Those little marshmallow things that you get around Easter time? Man, I love those things!

punisher:
this was my first near death...it was yesterday...ft wetherill, RI. solo dive around noon. dive flag string had too much slack I would think. it came over my rt.shoulder, and in front of my face. wave pulled flag buoy up. string yanked reg out of mouth. down 15ft at this time. held breath and leaned right to regain my reg. 2 or 3 tries, gave up, and then started swimming up fast as I could...all the while trying to exhale a little air as I swam up...scared sh_tl_ss fearing DCS. reached surface and then inflated BCD. waited to die or something...nothing yet. so I took up the slack on my flag. dropped down to 6 ft and headed back to shore. 10 minutes away.

one of my mistakes was not realizing that when sweeping for the reg, don't expect to feel it in my hand. I suspect that when I swept the first time, it was right between my bicep and chest. thats where it normally ends up when I practice it. didn't remember that under distress.

another mistake was not grabbing my secondary reg which is a ps2. didn't remember that I even had a second reg. therefore am now buying a pony with reg setup. ps2 is now considered 3rd reg.

and according to some of you, most important mistake was going solo to begin with.

I think I owe it to my loved ones and to the dive comunity not to be another statistic. hurts the family real bad, and has negative impact on diving industry.

any feedback from you guys?

don't hold back by the way
Glad you made it. SOLO???????????? Believe it or not, this is the best thing that will ever happen to you diving. I have had my near death experience while cave diving years ago. I too was lucky and got myself and two other dive buddies out alive. I didn't panic or get scared until a few days later thinking about the close call. It was the best thing to ever happen to me diving. I am much more cautious now than I would have been had this not happened. Somehow I knew I couldn't eat thru sixty feet of limestone rock to get to the surface. Luckily a calm came over me, I assesssed the situation, back tracked and got out. Get yourself a good buddy.

"I don't know if I'll never solo again, but I know that I'll be working on my safety and redundancy of air."

I am perplexed by this statement? Why would you continue to do what all of us are taught NOT to do in our basic course, that is to never dive without a buddy? I think experience and familiarity with your diving equipment and dive surroundings will help greatly in the skills, but I understand many things can happen. To this point, again, why would you not cease and desist diving solo? I've done many dives, but never alone. I just don't think it's a wise thing to do.

Best of wishes in your diving future, but please, follow the safety recommendations.

Back
Top Bottom