Almost left at a Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome to SB, Katherine. The purpose of this board is for frank, open discussion. Capt. Greg was notified and was given an opportunity to respond. He did that, though he hasn't responded to other people's replies on specific personal safety issues such as what is the return signal and whether its appropriate to pull up the ladders and start the engines (at best ripe for a misunderstanding between captain and diver) or whether memorizing faces is better than the industry practice of doing a role call.

And I for one don't feel that I need to be a divemaster to be concerned about my own safety on a dive boat.

BTW, everyone has a hard job, IMO people should either learn to deal with it or find other lines of work. Harsh advice, but valuable nonetheless.

I would suggest if you want to censor an internet forum you might want to start your own. Freedom of the press applies to those who actually own their own presses, not somebody else's. :wink:

Again, welcome to SB. Will you be sticking around, or was this a one shot deal?

Katherine,

In regards to rant !, it's called word of mouth. It happens everywhere and on every subject. That doesn't make it fair or accurate, just human nature. Whether its on the internet or at the bar or work or school.

Also, irresponsible of the staff to let this thread continue? Why? Frankly, I'd like to commend the staff on the handling of this thread. Wasn't the charter in question contacted by the staff in order to have their say? And, I'd like to thank CaptnGregg for taking the time out to respond. When I see a business that shows the level of concern and maturity shown here, my regards for that business are elevated.

Also, I think the issues being discussed in this thread were not a direct attack on the charter, but more general and against the method used to account for divers (which the captain even noted previous criticism of his own policy regarding diver counts). Do a search for roll call and you will find that this is a concern for a lot of divers - regardless of the charter.

I'd bet that most of the people who have read this thread have actually read the captain's response, but that's just a guess.

On point 2, different people have different expectation levels. Again, human nature. It doesn't have to make sense.

I think this is a great forum. I also think that this thread is an example of how things work correctly. As long as you're in business, you will always have dissatisfied customers who are going to spread their story to anyone who wants to listen, regardless of the accuracy or subjectiveness of the teller. The nice thing about this forum is that people from all walks of life, with different opinions and experiences; and as you can tell a number of our members have had good experiences with FKDC.

For the record, I've been on three trips with FKDC, and have enjoyed each one (no bad experience).

Katherine L:
!. I believe it is highly irresponsible of the the forum management here to allow businesses to be damamged in the manner of this thread (and many others). If the purpose of these postings is to truly learn and not just trash

Does the phone company disconnect your calls when someone else doesn't like what you're saying?

It's not their job to take sides (either side).

Terry

Puck:
It sounds like a little misunderstanding mixed with a bit of miscommunication a dash of habit and just enough rule strecthing to make it read like a brittish farce.

Amusingly explicit analogy. Nice usage of the King's English. :wink:

Foo

Jeff.. there is no reason to close a thread that is continued ongoing discussion.. now, useless bandwidth threads like "word association" should just be deleted from the database, but thats just me. :)

Web Monkey:
Does the phone company disconnect your calls when someone else doesn't like what you're saying?

To my knowledge, phone conversations generally take place between two parties (conference calls excluded of course). They are not posted on a message board that can be read by thousands of people.

K.

StSomewhere:
Welcome to SB, Katherine. The purpose of this board is for frank, open discussion. Capt. Greg was notified and was given an opportunity to respond. He did that, though he hasn't responded to other people's replies

Nor will he. Trust me, I know.

And I for one don't feel that I need to be a divemaster to be concerned about my own safety on a dive boat.

You missed the point. If you actually worked as one, you'd understand when it's appropriate to be concerned and when it is not. Along with a bunch of other things.

BTW, everyone has a hard job, IMO people should either learn to deal with it or find other lines of work. Harsh advice, but valuable nonetheless.

You're right, of course. However, again the point is missed. Although I'm concerned for my health, I would not go to my doctor and tell him how to do his job. I don't have the training. In over 20 years, Greg has never left anyone on the reef. He has, however, brought a few non breathing divers back to life. I think he knows what he's doing.

I would suggest if you want to censor an internet forum you might want to start your own. Freedom of the press applies to those who actually own their own presses, not somebody else's. :wink:

Again, assumptions are being made. Actually I was a forum moderator for many, many years. Back before most people knew what the internet was. At any rate, I'm not going to argue the censorship issue. I just know from experience that things can be discussed openly without the damage and without feeling censored.

Will you be sticking around, or was this a one shot deal?

I apologize for jumping in here and losing my temper as a new member of this board. But I probably won't be sticking around unless I learn that someone else close to me or I myself am attacked.

By the way, don't you think it's rather amusing that the person who initially started this mess never did respond to Greg?

K

Katherine L:
To my knowledge, phone conversations generally take place between two parties (conference calls excluded of course). They are not posted on a message board that can be read by thousands of people.
K.

OK.

Does your Internet Provider cut off your service if they find you posting messages they don't approve of?

Terry

Me?? I was arguing against closing this thread. FWIW I agree with you. Both cases.

CBulla:
Jeff.. there is no reason to close a thread that is continued ongoing discussion.. now, useless bandwidth threads like "word association" should just be deleted from the database, but thats just me. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom