Almost there...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

svnipp

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, I'm now done with the classroom and pool phases of my OW cert. Just have the lake dives next weekend to finish up my basic OW cert. I'm really pumped, but really worn out and sore right now. I spend about 10 hours in the pool over the last 3 days and I feel it, especially in the shoulders and upper chest/back areas. I was SO considering calling in sick today and just sleeping all day.

I had a couple instances of getting a little water up the nose and into the lungs. This was never much, but I stayed down and just coughed thru the reg and everything was fine. I had one small problem with my ears, but did as taught and came up a few feet and got it to equalize then headed back to the bottom and all was fine. The most challenging skill for me was underwater removal and replacement of the BCD/scuba unit. Taking that off underwater really made me TOTALLY unstable. The instructor stabilized me a bit while I was getting it back on. Really goes a LONG way to showing you just how much that BCD does for you.

I'm really pumped about the lake next weekend. Once I'm done with my checkout dives Sunday morning, I've already planned a dive or two with a new buddy from these boards that afternoon. My LDS who I'm taking the class from offers a Peak Performance Buoyancy class on Sunday but I think I just want to relax and sight see the lake rather than having to focus on another class right away.

Thanks for all the great info so far. Hope to end up seeing many of you out there in the depths.

good luck with your checkout dives! Dont worry about being knackered, just keep diving regularly and you'll soon get "diving fit" :D

yep, i took compressed classes in sharam for OW and AOW , once its done, you'll feel happy and relaxed knowing that you're finally free to dive and enjoy the new world out there :)
now i dive whenever i can, where ever i can.
good luck. becareful and confident, but not over confident :)

If you aren't used to moving heavy things around, scuba gear takes a lot out of you! The good news is that it doesn't take very long to get a lot stronger, if you dive regularly :)

Well, I'm now done with the classroom and pool phases of my OW cert. Just have the lake dives next weekend to finish up my basic OW cert. I'm really pumped, but really worn out and sore right now. I spend about 10 hours in the pool over the last 3 days and I feel it, especially in the shoulders and upper chest/back areas. I was SO considering calling in sick today and just sleeping all day. I had a couple instances of getting a little water up the nose and into the lungs. This was never much, but I stayed down and just coughed thru the reg and everything was fine. I had one small problem with my ears, but did as taught and came up a few feet and got it to equalize then headed back to the bottom and all was fine.
Good report. Always nice to hear from new divers. I had a sore shoulder after my very first boat dive day--from packing all my gear down to the pier. Maybe I got stronger, I definitely got smarter about lifting.

The most challenging skill for me was underwater removal and replacement of the BCD/scuba unit. Taking that off underwater really made me TOTALLY unstable. The instructor stabilized me a bit while I was getting it back on. Really goes a LONG way to showing you just how much that BCD does for you.
Nice. As an instructor I consider that skill primarily a problem-solving exercise, since there are so many things that can happen. Can the student stop, relax, figure out what's going on, and correct for it?

My LDS who I'm taking the class from offers a Peak Performance Buoyancy class on Sunday but I think I just want to relax and sight see the lake rather than having to focus on another class right away.
I applaud your instrincts. Dive and dive some more. As often as you like, try to stop where you are and see whether you maintain your position in the water column. If you've been finning slightly down because you're light, or finning slightly up because you're heavy, that will let you know what to do.

Have fun!
Bryan

Good job and keep it up! It's like running the winning touchdown and seeing yourself on the one yard line with the endzone in sight! Before you know it, you'll be sharing your experience and knowledge with fellow new divers! Oh yeah, don't worry about how tiring you're feeling right now- it's all new to you. A lot of new divers are caught off-guard at how tiring diving can be, but it's easily remedied with added exercise to get yourself fit and in shape. Just wait until you start doing offshore boat charter dives in rough seas ;-)

Lots of cardio, find a routine on the "net" for scuba divers and then there is yoga.
I am using a lot less air, from being a Hoover to a dust buster, using those three methods.
Yoga breathing has helped with breathing and the cardio and weight training as helped with the hauling gear. But, I was a 51 year couch potato when I got started and was about 50 lbs. overweight!!!
Also check out dive fitness on the "net", there are some really good articles to read.
Hope you have great dives and calm, clear waters!!!

Getting excited here about the lake dives Saturday morning. I swear, this has been one of the longest weeks I've had in a while. Really pumped up about hitting the water again this weekend. Unfortunately after that it's going to be a couple of weeks before I can hit the water again, but I think I'm going to have some gear shopping to hold me over.

I'll be sure to let you know how the dives this weekend go. I'm going to be getting a dive or two in on Sunday after my cert dives. It's going to be nice to be able to do my own thing and relax somewhat and just look around. I'll definitely be focused on practicing skills, especially breathing and buoyancy, but it will be nice to be free to do and see what I want at my own pace. I'll probably try and squeeze in the PPB class sometime in the next few weeks.

Later all.

Back
Top Bottom