New diver looking to get reps in the pool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

any name you wish.

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hey everyone, I’m currently at the 3rd try out class for my local dive club. It’s a very laid back group and I’m having a great time there. Definitely going to sign up and stay with them to learn the ropes.

However I am someone who likes to progress and push myself, not talking about recklessness or anything I’m just highly motivated to improve. The current schedule is laid back with only 1hour of weekly pool time.

We’re practising snorkelling/apnea as warmup which often leaves about 30 minutes of dive time.

What are some things I can do to practice on my own time? I’ve already taken some time out of my week to go to the pool where I practised mask clearing and equalising pressure on the ears with my partner.

We also try to regularly go swimming to stay in good cardiovascular shape.

It just feels like I’m at the mercy of the clubs limited pool time to practise buoyancy and trim since I’m too green to get my own gear and practice outside of an instructor’s supervision.

Anyone got some advice on what I could still do to get some extra practice. Or even things I could do to get more out of the limited pool time I get?
Cheers

recovery regulator, emergency ascent, deploy dsmb, donating/sharing octopus, swim without mask, practice free flow drill...

You can practice all the skills that don't involve two people....Equipment removal and replacing was my worst one. Weight belt removal. For the ones that involve a buddy (out of air drill for one), you can mimic doing them-- in water or sitting on your couch. In fact, you can mimic all of them if you don't have time for the pool. I still do this. For safety since you aren't certified, maybe stay away from doing stuff on the bottom-- only on the surface.

unfortunately if you need their pool and their gear it would be tough to practice any in-water skills. but i like that you want to stay in good shape. that is a bigger part of diving than some people realize.
you might also consider advancing your general knowledge on basic dive theory as well.
to some it comes easy. others, not so much.

Mask clearing fs up alot of people.

Just swim laps: you get so used to having chlorinated water up your sinuses, mask clearing becomes a non-issue.

To the OP: for bonus points, swimming goggles, front-mounted snorkel, and no nose clip. Kicks only, in zoomers, to condition your legs for finning.

Don't do breathhold training without direct supervision. That would be my advice. Being "highly motivated" increases your risk, as well.
Thanks for bringing this up, it shows you care about the wellbeing of others.

For apnea I always buddy up with my partner in a supervised pool to mitigate risk.

To the OP: for bonus points, swimming goggles, front-mounted snorkel, and no nose clip. Kicks only, in zoomers, to condition your legs for finning.
This is great advice, I’ll definitely implement that in my future practice sessions.

you might also consider advancing your general knowledge on basic dive theory as well.
to some it comes easy. others, not so much.
I’m all for getting myself more informed but I often struggle with finding sources that go deeper on the subject. Most of the things I find on the internet tend to be on the side of surface level. I’d love to hear some recommendations if you have any on where to look for documentation.

Back
Top Bottom