Almost went into deco off Islamorada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder if someone flying a computer has a basis to come up with a gas plan. Suuntos seem to add time penalties for repetive dives rapid ascents etc. If you don't know how long you'll be down you can't plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup, I see nothing to be FRANTIC about, either.
I've been deco diving since 1969 doing pretty technical deep decompression dives. I agree with AWAP. While taking photos, I go in and out of deco often. I simply ascend a bit and let my two computers reconfigure the dive. I usually give myself extra time on the hangline, though it is not required. No reason to panic!

I don't disagee but wonder if someone flying a computer has a basis to come up with a gas plan. Suuntos seem to add time penalties for repetive dives rapid ascents etc. If you don't know how long you'll be down you can't plan.

I'm referring to a couple of minutes with a 10 ft ceiling, amounting to an extra few cu ft of air, which every diver has in reserve as a matter of course. Also, many of the light decos clear as you come up on a multilevel dive long before you reach the ceiling.

I qualify that my posts are my personal opinion, reflecting how I dive and not a recommendation for anyone to dive in any particular way. And of course I'm not recommending deco diving without technical training.

Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah but see you are being reasonable. The OP had it drilled into him, as many people have, that bad things, really bad things, will happen if you go into deco by even a minute or two. Worse yet many people will dive computers that will tack on substantial amounts of time for the sin of going over the line for no discernible reason. The end result is hysteria rather than reason which seems to be what the main "educational" agencies prefer.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The site Terms of Service do not permit posts that advocate unsafe diving practices, as defined by the major diving agencies.

Therefore, expressing a personal opinion that does advocate such defined 'unsafe' diving practices is a breach of board TOS.

You may discuss issues that may be considered 'unsafe' by the major agencies - but you may not advocate them.

If you don't understand the difference between discussion and avocation, then please ask a Mod or Board Guide for direction

I've often wondered about the "data" on injuries from "flying computer deco" diving. I can't say I've ever heard of injured divers who went into computer deco, cleared the indicated stops and successfully finished the dive (from a gas standpoint). I have heard of divers who had "unexpected hits" but do they determine if/how many of those "unexpected hits" were from "computer deco flyers" who finished the deco?

:idk:

Ah but see you are being reasonable. The OP had it drilled into him, as many people have, that bad things, really bad things, will happen if you go into deco by even a minute or two. Worse yet many people will dive computers that will tack on substantial amounts of time for the sin of going over the line for no discernible reason. The end result is hysteria rather than reason which seems to be what the main "educational" agencies prefer.

Actually, you're quite wrong. With due deference to you and Ms. Finch, there was no panic, hysteria. The post was mostly tongue-in-cheek, as I've said earlier. While yes, I would say that beginning divers should certainly watch their NDLs, I was speaking more to catching s*** topside about locking out our computers. As you both seem to be experienced divers, you both have certainly seen the kind of good natured ribbing that goes on during a dive trip. That was the back message to my post, done under the auspices of the board's TOS as stated by DevonDiver.

My apologies if this did not come through in the OP.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom