Alternate Airsource/Inflator Jams (air2, octo+, duo-air, etc)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jplacson

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
How many alt. air source users have experienced inflator jams or the like? How often? And how severe (Had to be sent back to the shop, fixed it yourself, freed itself after pressing the button repeatedly, couldn't be fixed)

This goes out to Air2, Octo+ (Apeks or Zeagle), Duo-air, and other similar unit users. Thanks!

Inflator Jams?

I had an AIR2 that would bubble at >90fsw. A Scubapro tec told me there wasn't anything wrong with it! I got a regular 2nd for a backup regulator. Later, I took a DIR F class and now wear that reg (the backup) around my neck.

Rick Lang

I've had a Tusa Duo-Air (an Air 2 with different shaped buttons - TUSA actually makes the Air 2 for Scubapro) for years and have never had a mechanical problem with it.

The maintainence has been minimal. I tear it down annually to clean and inspect it but have never had to replace an internal part. I did manage to lose the cover over the exhaust valve but this is did not affect its operation and was easily and inexpensively replaced.

I have managed to freeze it up while filling lift bags below 100 ft in low 40 degree water. However I have had conventional second stages do the same thing which is not a surprise as the flow rate is very high and sustained and there is no warming exhalation to put heat back into the reg.

The advantage with an Air 2 /Duo Air is that you can disconnect it to stop the airflow and can reconnect it in 5 seconds or so after it thaws and use the reg normally. With a conventional second stage , your only option is to shut off the tank valve. So in effect the QD inherent in this type of design adds another level of saftey in some applications.

I have also used it at depths down to 130' and have not experienced any problems with it. It does breathe harder than the D400 or Balanced Adjustable second stages I normally use, but then they are both exceptionally good breathing regulators.

Thanks DA... hmmm... other Air2 owners I've asked say it's never locked up on them either. Freezing isn't an issue here in the Philippines so I won't get into that.

I've just been trying to see more angles to this whole Inflator/octo issue. Since the main concern seems to be an inflator jam and that you'll have to disconnect your inflator, thus disconnecting your octo as well.

So, I'm trying to see if the arguments are valid. Octos have been known to freeflow as well... so I'm trying to compare if the incidents of Air2 (and the like) inflator jams occur more frequently than regular octo freeflows.

I'd really love to get rid of as many hoses as possible... seeing as that I'm not certified for overhead/cave dives... I don't really see that big a threat of a possible inflator/octo failure...in the event of my primary 2nd stage failure.

Once I do get certified for cave/wreck dives, I will switch back to a traditional setup... but I'm still 50/50 on the whole Air2 issue.

Rick... hmmm... I've read about stories like that as well (the unrepairable Air2s) ... I'm actually looking at the Apeks version, the Octo+ (Also sold under the Zeagle brand)

My reasons for choosing the Apeks, over the more popular Air2, are:
1)I'd rather stick to one brand for the entire reg, Apeks ATX 50
2)The Octo+ is the only inflator/octo that you can deflate and inhale at the same time since exhaust is routed differently... this works for me since the Halcyon wings do not have shoulder dumps. This would allow me to dump air, while breathing of the unit, even without a shoulder dump.

Thanks you guys for your replies! :D

I haven't made up my mind yet. I'd like to gather a lot more real-life experiences before I make my choice. I understand that it doesn't work for everyone... so I'm happy to hear as many REAL stories as possible...not just theoretical situations.

The Air 2 / Duo Air is also an excellent balanced inflator and much better than most dedicated inflators that are out there. You can easily control the amount of air going into the BC or wing and you can use it to just barely dribble air into the bladder unlike many conventional inflators.

In my opinion, much of the concern over the potential for inflators to fail or stick is based on people using cheap low cost or generic inflators rather than a quality balanced inflator.

My son did have a stuck inflator shortly after he got certififed and this was due to a poor button design that allowed the button to spin off the stem. This button also retained the return spring, so once it was lost, the spring was lost as well. Consequently, the button (or rather the remaining stem) once pushed, would not return leaving the inflator valve open. This is a common failure with many generic inflators however it it not a failure that could occur with an Air 2 or Duo Air.

DA, thanks again. I'm actually feeling more confident with these units... and I probably will get the Octo+ to use as my main OW alt air source. (I'll keep my octo and original inflator & hoses in my save-a-dive kit when I do)

I know it's not a very reliable source, but I emailed Apeks and asked if it was possible to do field repairs on their Octo+ in case of an inflator jam, and they said the cover simply screws off, and that they never heard of their inflator ever jamming.

So maybe these units really are more reliable inflators... bladder leaks maybe, but not a full blown jam.

I have the seaquest air source and have had no problems....

Since i always run a pony bottle i like the way it gets rid of another reg...

Dove in blackwater 5 times in the Cooper River, SC. That, folks, besides diving under the icecap behind a school of orcas that stir up the bottom is the toughest diving that I can think of.

Air2 worked like a champ. I tested it frequently while looking for fossils. I love it!

I have used both Oceanic’s and Zeagle’s for years with out a problem. If properly maintained they are as rugged as any reg. They are just second stages in a different format.

Thanks to everyone who replied... I think I have a lot more confidence in these units now than I did before. Specially for plain OW use. :)

I will probably be getting an Octo+ in the near future to use as my main rig, and keep my inflator and octo as backup should either of them fail... I can replace them for the next dive.

Back
Top Bottom