Alternative to Olympus TG6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi folks, what is a good alternative to the Olympus TG6?
Just reading a few comments, why not buy the proven TG-6? What are your concerns with this proven and much-reviewed camera?

First, y'all realize this thread is like 4 years old, right?

Interesting - I am replacing my Olympus OMD EM5 II with a TG6 (don't ask!) and I will be interested to compare. I know the TG6 is a step down but I bet (not considering NatGeo) that the outcome will be comparable. I will let you know!

That's going to be a pretty big step down, I'm afraid. Unless you're only shooting macro.

After shooting in Manual mode, I would not consider going back to a camera like the TG6.

That said, the TG6 is certainly capable of capturing some nice images. The best images from a TG6 can stand up to the best images from pretty much anything.

It's mainly that your percentage of "keepers" is probably going to be much lower.

At least that's my guess/opinion. I'll hope for you that I'm wrong. :)

Use the free Adobe DNG converter. It will ingest the Olympus RAW photos and output DNG's, which are universal RAW's. Any version of lightroom should be able to then import the RAW with no loss of quality.

Any remotely recent version of Lightroom can handle Olympus RAW files directly. No need for a step to manually convert to DNG.

Use the free Adobe DNG converter. It will ingest the Olympus RAW photos and output DNG's, which are universal RAW's. Any version of lightroom should be able to then import the RAW with no loss of quality.
I use Olympus Workplace to convert to TIFF, then process in LR.

Just reading a few comments, why not buy the proven TG-6? What are your concerns with this proven and much-reviewed camera?
For me, there are 2 problems. One, image quality. A6000 wins w/o much difference in size and pricing. Two, controls when shooting with a flash. For TG-6 they recommend shooting in the A mode, but this is too complicated. So I use TG-6 only as my snorkeling camera w/o the case and flash. Here it is a winner because it is small.

I picked up a TG6 to replace a an old Lumix TS5 that finally gave up the ghost after many years of snorkeling. Of course after one snorkel excursion in Cozumel I look down at the bottom, see divers, and the next day it's Discover Scuba time.

Got home, did OW, got excited and bought a a PT-059, then realized I prefer my iPhone 13 pro max over the TG6 as a point and shoot - try as I might I wasn't really using the TG6 out of the water, I either shoot the iPhone, or one of my "serious" cameras. Never mind I'm sort of jumping the gun on OW photography, beyond snorkeling at least.

For my purposes - snorkel and casual (task-loading-limited) rec diving photography - Oceanic's new iPhone housing looks ideal. So the TG6 and PT-059 are on craiglist. I'd list it here but not enough posts yet :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom