Altitude diving for a "knock-off" dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowviz

Solo Diver
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My kid canvases the US as a "hot-shot" trucker. His latest adventure was Lake Tahoe. (Yes, he called the police and recovery peeps before diving.) Forget the diver's cove, continued to 90+ feet in the channel in real cold. Drove me crazy after I found out, his approach was to convert altitudes to sea level and fake the stops with a Perdix. (Thoughts?)

So my approach (if I did this) would have been to check my BSAC tables [Altitude diving?] and see how they compare to my Petrel.

Any real advice for divers who just want to do this sort of a knock-off dive!!! (-other than don't do it...)

I don't know what a "knock off" dive is, but this seems like a great example contradicting those who say you don't need a class, you can just learn it on your own.

Well, at least he’s diving. That’s good to hear. And a trucker who has his gear with him! He gets brownie points for that!

For those who don’t know, a hot shot trucker is one who does very urgent loads that companies pay big $$ to have fast.

Jeez, Marie. I'm trying to cool him off a bit...

I’ll agree his dive was a risky, but at least he’s not one of those people sitting home and moaning they can’t dive because of travel restrictions in SE Asia!

Have him set his Perdix to auto mode and it will adjust to his current elevation. He should already know this by reading the manual. There are some other settings he may want to consider like fresh water versus salt. His computer won’t automatically turn on until he is about 10 feet below the surface instead of the usual 3 that he would experience at sea level. I grew up diving above 6,000 feet so he just needs to be aware of a few things. If he plans on driving the same day, it might be best to stick to non-deco dives.

Extra knowledge about diving at altitude will very likely not harm him.

Extra incentive for learning: if you pass you get the highest certification that's out there!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom