Altitude diving (for NDL planning purposes)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geoff w

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The other weekend I did a couple of deep dives off the beach, then later in the day drove over a hill (only around 1,000 ft). A more detailed account is in http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ask-dr-decompression/503484-driving-hills-after-diving.html If I want to conduct a dive and treat it as an altitude dive for NDL planning purposes, is there any easy way to do it with the Petrel? Gradient factors? My Suunto Vyper has an option for setting the altitude range, but the Petrel is smarter and can figure out the altitude with the pressure sensor. In recreational nitrox mode (which is what I dive), the Petrel is fixed at auto for surface pressure; I have it set to medium conservatism. Reading the full manual, there doesn't seem to be any way to set a starting altitude despite what the pressure sensor reads at the surface, but I could change gradient factors. Is there a recommended method for the Petrel?

Back
Top Bottom