Aluminum 80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

awerda

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm thinking about buying my fist tank. My LDS gave me this price for an aluminum 80 $189.95 (Canadian) approx. $139.45 American. And this price for a aluminum 100 $299, approx. $219.51 American. Neither of these tanks come with free fills, just the tank, valve, filled with air and visualed. I was curious if this is a good price? If it isn't or if someone knows where I can get a better price in the GTA, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Luxfer AL 80's go for about that down here in Miami. Some shops throw in 10 free 'air' fills as well, but not all. 80cf AL tanks are loss leaders for many shops. They don't make anything on them. That price on a new 100 is pretty good. My LDS in Miami has a 1 yr old used AL100 for $190US, so $219 ain't so bad. A lot of people don't like the buoancy of the AL100's due to them being fairly positive at the end of the dive, and they are quite tall. If you decide to go bigger than an 80, you might consider a high pressure 100 steel tank. They are about the same size physically as an AL80, but have much nicer buoyancy characteristics. A little more expensive though. Check out PST's tanks.

PS. I have a high pressure steel 80 from PST for sale. New in November and is Nitrox ready with a 200 bar DIN/Yoke valve. $185us.

awerda:
I'm thinking about buying my fist tank. My LDS gave me this price for an aluminum 80 $189.95 (Canadian) approx. $139.45 American. And this price for a aluminum 100 $299, approx. $219.51 American. Neither of these tanks come with free fills, just the tank, valve, filled with air and visualed. I was curious if this is a good price? If it isn't or if someone knows where I can get a better price in the GTA, please tell me. Thanks in advance.

Most places in southern ontario are all around 210-220 for an AL 80 . So 190 as a price is pretty good. There isn't a whole lot of markup available on an AL tank and valve.

What about prices on used tanks? I dont know how they compare but I dont see what the problem with getting a used tank is.

startag:
What about prices on used tanks? I dont know how they compare but I dont see what the problem with getting a used tank is.

i have bought a few used AL80's but probably won't continue to do so unless I get my VIP certification... the reason being is that even if I can get a used tank for $40 plus shipping ($20-$30) it is likely that the tank is at the end or close to the VIP or Hydro... then you got to get it hydroed, vipped for $20-$60...

So - in the end you end up with a used tank (BTW - one that is not even guaranteed to pass VIP/Hydro) that you spent $120... why bother when you can get a new tank from your local store or through diveriteexpress for only slightly more?

I would say - if the tank you are looking at is normally very expensive, then maybe it would be worth it. For me... I am looking into the new PST E-7s.

startag:

Hard to find decent used tanks up here. If they are sold to stores the LDS usually puts them into thier rental pool. And after the hydro and vis you only end up saving 30 bucks or so and you never quite know what problems you are inheriting. The last ones I saw were about 120 Cdn and needed vis, hydro and valve servicing right away

Back
Top Bottom