Aluminum 80s versus larger steel tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So now the standard is a max ppO2 of 1.2 during the active part of the dive?

Some people do believe that. I was taught that when I was a UTD student. The vast majority still teach 1.4, and that is what I use.

---------- Post added May 25th, 2014 at 12:10 PM ----------

If unproven, while still so widely held?

From the Winter 2013 Alert Diver article by Petar Denoble, MD: ""Symptoms of CNS oxygen toxicity, which include seizures, may occur after short exposures to partial pressures of oxygen greater than 1.3 ATA in exercising divers, which equates to breathing pure oxygen at 10 feet of seawater. Resting divers in comfortable conditions tolerate 1.6 ATA of oxygen well. . . . The best protection is to keep inspired oxygen pressure at or below 1.2 ATA while physically active and at or below 1.6 ATA during decompression." -- Alert Diver | Understanding Oxygen Toxicity

Very, very little about oxygen toxicity has been truly proven at the level usually accepted by the scientific community, and there is good reason for it.

A lot of the early work on oxygen toxicity was quite understandably done in recompression chambers. Then it was discovered that for reasons that no one I have ever heard of understands, oxygen toxicity while diving is very different from oxygen toxicity in the chamber. One big difference is that it occurs at much lower pressures in water than in the chamber. Thus, if you want to do a really good study of oxygen toxicity while diving, you would have to get a whole bunch of divers and subject them to oxygen levels at the edge of toxicity to see how they react. (That is essentially how PADI studied DCS for its tables.) How do you feel about participating in an experiment to see what it takes to put you into a seizure under water?

It is difficult even to use data from cases that occur in normal diving. For one reason, it is very rare, so you don't have a lot of data to begin with. Next, you can't really be sure that the person had oxygen toxicity. If they die without anyone seeing the incident, there is no indication that they did indeed have oxygen toxicity. All you see is that they drowned for some reason. If you want to see a good example of the problem, read the DAN report on Sudafed and oxygen toxicity. About half of the report is spent explaining the scientific method and why they have really no reliable data on which to draw a conclusion.

I was present for what may have been a very rare successful toxicity rescue. The diver was using a rebreather, and he signaled trouble, shut off the loop, spit out his mouthpiece, and reached for the regulator of his bailout bottle. His buddy donated his bailout regulator just as the diver went unconscious. Fortunately, his buddy was highly skilled and was able to hold his regulator in the diver's mouth while dragging him out of the cave propelled by a scooter, zipping by my group as he went. We were very pleasantly surprised to learn he had lived. Was it oxygen toxicity? The description of the incident sounds like a guy who had a warning sign of an approaching toxic event and wanted to get on a different gas supply. (Of course, it is hard to understand how switching to a bailout bottle with 52% nitrox at 96 feet is going to help, and I guess his buddy's 38% was better, but not much.) On the other hand, he did not have the supposedly characteristic seizure. It could have been something else. The hospital diagnosis was never released, since he lived and is in control of his own records under law. If it was indeed a toxicity issue, I suspect there would have been no sure way for the doctors to tell.

Ok just got home from 8 great days in Cozumel. Dove with Aldora for the first time using steel 120's. I use a Suunto Cobra very conservative computer. Upon arrival at Aldora I decided to do my first dives of the day on air and the second on nitrox. By my 3rd day of diving we were diving Palancar Bricks and I was maybe 20 minutes into the dive and noticed I was 2 minutes from going into deco. As a group we had to skip the swim through and stay above the reef. At the surface interval I spoke with Memmo and told him I wanted to do nitrox on all my remaining dives of the week. He suggested I switch my computer to be more liberal which I declined. Did not have any trouble after going to nitrox on all dives.

Nice long bottom times.

tom

Nice long bottom times.

tom

What kind of bottom times did you have? Did your group skip the swim through because of your deco warning, or because of others in the same situation. Sounds like you had a good time.

What kind of bottom times did you have? Did your group skip the swim through because of your deco warning, or because of others in the same situation. Sounds like you had a good time.

Yes my deco warning caused us as a group to skip the swim through's. All dives were over 70 minutes. My last 4 dives I surfaced with over 1000 left including a 90 minute dive at Columbia Shallows with some newbies where I surfaced with 1300 left. And yes I had a blast. Highly recommend Aldora though my non-diving spouse did not care for my long dive days. Picked up around 7:30 and typically back around 2pm.

tom

My last 4 dives I surfaced with over 1000 left including a 90 minute dive at Columbia Shallows with some newbies where I surfaced with 1300 left.

That would freak me out, coming up with gas left. Like not stuffing yourself at an all you can eat place......

Yes my deco warning caused us as a group to skip the swim through's. All dives were over 70 minutes. My last 4 dives I surfaced with over 1000 left including a 90 minute dive at Columbia Shallows with some newbies where I surfaced with 1300 left. And yes I had a blast. Highly recommend Aldora though my non-diving spouse did not care for my long dive days. Picked up around 7:30 and typically back around 2pm.

tom

I also have a Suunto Cobra plus a wrist Suunto Mosquito. My method may not work for you for various reasons but I have on occasion needed to ascend towards a safety stop depth because the Suunto is so conservative. I just have to increase awareness of my surroundings to avoid being eaten by Bengalese tiger sharks or rainbow parrotfish.

I was present for what may have been a very rare successful toxicity rescue. The diver was using a rebreather, and he signaled trouble, shut off the loop, spit out his mouthpiece, and reached for the regulator of his bailout bottle. His buddy donated his bailout regulator just as the diver went unconscious. Fortunately, his buddy was highly skilled and was able to hold his regulator in the diver's mouth while dragging him out of the cave propelled by a scooter, zipping by my group as he went. We were very pleasantly surprised to learn he had lived. Was it oxygen toxicity? The description of the incident sounds like a guy who had a warning sign of an approaching toxic event and wanted to get on a different gas supply. (Of course, it is hard to understand how switching to a bailout bottle with 52% nitrox at 96 feet is going to help, and I guess his buddy's 38% was better, but not much.) On the other hand, he did not have the supposedly characteristic seizure. It could have been something else. The hospital diagnosis was never released, since he lived and is in control of his own records under law. If it was indeed a toxicity issue, I suspect there would have been no sure way for the doctors to tell.
If he went unconscious, it sounds more like hypoxia.

If he went unconscious, it sounds more like hypoxia.

Normally I would say yes, but it is hard to call it hypoxia when the diver is breathing 52% oxygen (and we tested the gas) at 96 feet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom