aluminum or fiber glass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ecudiver

Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys ive just got into the whole spear fishing and am trying to buy my first pole spear. most post are 2 or 3 yrs old though and was wondering your opinions whether i should go with an aluminum or fiber glass pole spear. thanks guys

The JBL collapsible aluminum pole floods and the water gives good inertia. The Biller fiberglas is nice and heavy but the tips are not as good as the excellent barbed three pronger sold by JBL.

I dislike the fiberflass due to the fact that it bows up and bounces through the water when released. The JBL aluminums are rigid.

There is another collapsable pole on the market, its black, and has much more solid aluminum walls than the JBL making it sturdier and heavier(think inertia again). You can find it for the same price as the JBL collapsable.

I personally use the regular 5' JBL aluminum single piece. I preffer a double winged, rotating tip, much better than a paralyzer(tri-tip) for flounder. For free floating fish, you can't beat the paralyzer - its just not fast enough for quick gigging of flounder which I can stack on my pole without obliterating the meat.

Cheapest fiberglass one you can find and the JBL 846 barbed paralyzer.Great for newbs as you have 3 prongs to increase the chance of a stone shot.Barbed to help retain those you don't.I got a #20 class gag last summer with one.

For flounder my buddy Gary is the undisputed master:death2: :bang:

He uses a 3' stainless rod with a 3/8 stainless cable 6' long terminated with a crimped on nut.The 1st flounder goes up the shaft ,along the cable and is looped thru the gills.Future flounder just slide up the shaft and along the cable being stopped by flounder #1.

As others have stated the aluminum is heavier which yields more momentum when travelling through the water. The momentum helps to penetrate the fish better than a lighter spear. It does not wobble when released like the fiberglass ones... the aluminum shoots nice and straight. I prefer the longest possible pole spear you can find that way when you cock it back you still have a good reach on the fish. I also prefer the paralyzer tip because it goes through the fish like butter. You need to go for a kill shot when using a paralyzer tip. Shoot the fish in the head ... if it does not kill him the spear will at least lodge in much tighter than a body shot since the head is firm and bony.
-Chris

hey guys one last question ive decided to go with the aluminum pole but should i get a fixed one or break down? your thoughts and opinions please.

Go for the breakdown. I frequently fly to the Bahamas on small planes and the breakdown spear is great for small planes or just travelling in general. Sometimes I carry my breakdown on my kayak when freediving or taking uw photos. Its there when I need it and, unlike a one piece pole spear, it is easy carry on a kayak or small boat. The breakdown simply gives you more options.

Yeah, the breakdown is definately more versatile, add the length when in open water or break it down shorter to use on shallower shore dives.

Back
Top Bottom