Aluminum or Steel Tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm sure there are lots of tank threads. My question was specifically directed to the ladies who frequent 'Women's Views'. Ladies?

I don't have a fancy techy response, just a pragmatic one on which I based my decision to dive with steel tanks: I'm short (5'1"), so I appreciate the shorter length of the steel 72 I dive with versus the AL80. Plus, steel tank takes something like 5 lbs off my weight belt, which is great.

Some smaller folks don't like the steels because they find that steel tanks roll them and they don't like that. I don't find that it rolls too much and when it does, it doesn't bother me too much. You have to dive with them to see if you like them.

If the steel is too pricey, you can also look at an AL 63. I dive with one and it's jsut a little taller than a SL 72, very easy to carry and has better buoyancy characteristics than an AL 80. My husband dives with a Compact 80 and he still goes thru air faster than I do with my 63. :D

When wearing a wet suit, I'll dive a steel 80, so I don't have to wear extra wt to compensate for the neoprene...for warm water, I dive an AL80. I have an older "stubby" tank since I have a short torso.

I really, really prefer a steel tank. My main reason is that when you enter the water you are about 6 lbs negative. At the end of the dive, even if you have almost drained the tank dry, you are neutrally bouyant. It's just the opposite with an Al tank. You enter the water neutrally bouyant and end up positive.

That's just my take. Good luck to you!!!

SWT

Right now I prefer Aluminum. I find that my set up has been geared towards that configuration. Although steel is heavier, and would allow me to wear less weights, I do like aluminum.

They are cheaper too!!!! :wink:

scubagirl15:
I don't have a fancy techy response, just a pragmatic one on which I based my decision to dive with steel tanks: I'm short (5'1"), so I appreciate the shorter length of the steel 72 I dive with versus the AL80. Plus, steel tank takes something like 5 lbs off my weight belt, which is great.

I really like HP steel for the reasons above. Especially when I am kneeling on the bottom of the pool with students; with a regular AL80 I am never quite settled & it pushes me forward. Not so with the steel.

Some smaller folks don't like the steels because they find that steel tanks roll them and they don't like that.

:confused: Never had that problem, and I've been diving steels for over 10 years with everything from a skin to a drysuit. Sounds like some tank straps are not being tightened properly.

DSDO,

cobaltbabe:
Right now I prefer Aluminum. I find that my set up has been geared towards that configuration. Although steel is heavier, and would allow me to wear less weights, I do like aluminum.

They are cheaper too!!!! :wink:
I have a special boot on my aluminum tank that has a 5lb releaseable weight. That takes care of my postive problem when empty. It also eliminates me wearing weights myself. I wear 2 lbs. in my trim pockets.

Bridget

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom