Am I getting ripped off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Crocs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I bought an Oceanic GT3 about 18 months ago, and had it serviced for its annual checkup in August. I have the Oceanic parts for life program, so on normal maintenance I only pay for labor. Everything but the gauges are oceanic. I sent the regs into the dive shop (which opened just last year and I have never used before). It took them about 6 weeks to 'service' them, saying they had to send it somewhere else, and that there was a problem with it. I received my regs, which work fine (as they did before). I just called today to see what I owe, and was told that the service price is $120.

Needless to say, I was surprised! I had talked to another dive shop who services Oceanic, and they said they do normal servicing for 35 dollars. Since my parts should be free, how is it that there was such a high cost to me? I am waiting to hear from the shop owner, but was hoping that you enlightened people could let me know what is a reasonable cost for this service. Attached is a photo of all of the parts that were replaced. Does any of this seem out of place, or account for a specialty replacement that could account for the high cost?

Thanks in advance for your help, as always :)

Attachments

• DSC_8597.JPG
    DSC_8597.JPG
    237.1 KB · Views: 57
Bend over... you got screwed.

$35 is pretty cheap. (much cheaper than expected).

but if you got it from an authorized dealer, then parts shouldn't be charged. Average labor costs are $15 to $20 per stage, so that' average total labor cost of $45 to $60.

Why did you get charged more?

most likely you paid full price for parts, the shipping to the other shop, the shipping back, and labor.

did he not tell you how much it was before he took it? or did you not ask?

If I remember correctly, Oceanic dealers do not HAVE to honor the Oceanic warranty unless they sold the equipment.

Somebody correct me if I am wrong please.

Looks like a rip off to me. Demand a complete, written explanation. They either charged you for parts that should be free, or they charged you for unusual labor that should be covered by your warranty.

I bought an Oceanic GT3 about 18 months ago, and had it serviced for its annual checkup in August.

I just called today to see what I owe, and was told that the service price is $120.

Needless to say, I was surprised!
The issue is not the cost but the fact that you were surprised at it.

In the normal course of service, you get a quote for the expected work done before agreeing to have it performed.

Ripped off? More like, I feel silly for not asking how much before giving my permission to have the work done.

Ripped of would be, "They quoted me $100 for service and then just dusted it off and called it done." or "They quoted me $35 for service and now will not give it back unless I pay them $120."

I wouldn't be so fast to immediately call this "ripped off". When you purchased your regulator, you should have received a Alliance Service Agreement. This would have looked like a folding card with spaces to document your service. If your regulator was purchased 18 months prior to the "annual" service, then you had unfortunately allowed your Alliance Service Agreement to lapse. That agreement requires service every 12 months. So, you would have lost your qualification for the free parts kits. If you DIDN'T receive a Reliance Service Agreement from the original dealer, phone them up and find out why you didn't get the documents.

When paying for labor and parts kits for a first stage and two second stages, $120 is more in the realm of a normal charge than being anywhere near a rip off.

I suggest you speak to the Oceanic dealer and find out why they charged you for the parts. Maybe you didn't submit the service agreement documents when you presented the regulator. I am sure they will work to some type of accommodation on the parts if they can phone Oceanic and get assurance that they will be replaced under the Alliance Service Agreement.

Phil Ellis
www.divesports.com

I'm thinking you got charged handling/shipping costs plus the labor for the shop that did the work. Say 60-70 for labor and another 50 -60 for handling plus tax. Not a rip off just unfortunate that you didn't ask for an estimate before hand.

I wouldn't be so fast to immediately call this "ripped off". When you purchased your regulator, you should have received a Alliance Service Agreement.

or maybe they didn't buy it from an Authorized dealer? It wouldn't come with an Alliance Service card then? right?

When you purchased your regulator, you should have received a Alliance Service Agreement... If your regulator was purchased 18 months prior to the "annual" service, then you had unfortunately allowed your Alliance Service Agreement to lapse. That agreement requires service every 12 months...

When paying for labor and parts kits for a first stage and two second stages, $120 is more in the realm of a normal charge than being anywhere near a rip off.

Phil Ellis
Discount Scuba Gear at DiveSports.com - Buy Scuba Diving Equipment & Snorkeling Equipment

Thanks for this. I suppose I should have been more specific. I bought my regulators in August of 2008, so not quite 18 months (my quick estimate seemed to not be that reliable). As to your points:
1. I did receive an alliance card that was valid- the shop owner even scanned it for me.
2. The agreement had not lapsed, I took it in for service within the 12 month period (by a few weeks leeway), so was safe on that.

As for the asking for a quote before sending it in, everyone is absolutely right, i should have done that. I feel like an idiot for not doing it. I am a bit surprised at how they simply sent it off somewhere else without consulting me, telling me that the stages were leaking, when I had never noticed it. I am pretty meticulous with my equipment. This is the last time I do this.

Just talked to the manager, he said that they had to send it somewhere to get the leaks fixed, and that the 120 is what was billed to them. They told me they didn't bill me for the shipping. I'll update with more info when I get it if anything changes.

Thanks for helping out a newbie guys :)

Just talked to the manager, he said that they had to send it somewhere to get the leaks fixed, and that the 120 is what was billed to them. They told me they didn't bill me for the shipping. I'll update with more info when I get it if anything changes.

Thanks for helping out a newbie guys :)

I would ask him what specifically leaked, and what specifically needed to be fixed that would not be part of a regular service.
After all, a regular service changes all the sealings etc, everything above and beyond would be a warranty case not annual service

==> so I would politely ask the shop to give you a refund of the difference between your invoice and what a normal annual service (without parts) costs, and get the balance refunded by Oceanic as it clearly is warranty

and no, I don't think you are "guilty" because of not asking before. You went to a shop to get a regular annual service performed by them. So if they cannot do it and think they need to send it elsewhere/get additional work done, they should have gotten your permission first. After all, an annual service is a pretty routine thing at pretty standard prices (35$ sounds very low indeed for all 3 stages! - maybe per stage incl. parts?), so you shouldn't need to ask for an elaborate quotation like for an engine swap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom