Amazon eero mesh network & Ubiquiti Point-to-Point Bridge

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Jim Wyatt

Hanging at the 10 Foot Stop
Staff member
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have extended my Windstream internet coverage up to another building about 50 yards away.
We used this hardware configured as a wireless bridge which is a Ubiquiti Nano Station LOCOM5.

To get internet/WiFi into that remote building I put a Wireless Range Extender in there, hard-wired to the Remote Station and am able to connect to it but it is not optimal as the range extender inherently slows everything down.

I'd like to put in place of that Wireless Range Extender something else that is better suited. I am thinking I can use an eero mesh WiFi Router there but I don't know if that will work. I may be able to use an eero node there too?

Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

oops, didn't read your question thoroughly...

a decent router configured as an access point should do the trick.

have you tried anything else directly wired to the antenna? Is it prone to drops? Do you have a true clear view (no trees/brush)?

posting links keeps crashing for me...

I use this router as an access point.... Couple years old, and you could go to a newer model...
1706971025165.png

highly configurable.

have you tried anything else directly wired to the antenna? Is it prone to drops? Do you have a true clear view (no trees/brush)?
It is a clear line-of-sight and it has been stable for several days since I set it up.

I have not tried anything else wired to the remote station, but I will now.

Will this work?

are you able to change channels on the point-to-point units? Is it possible there is a signal issue from something else conflicting with the connection?

You’re going to want a wifi access point (not range extender!) connected to the Nanostation on the far side. Configuring it to work with the existing Windstream router is going to be the slightly hard part, but definitely doable.

I like Ubiquiti equipment, so I’d put something like the U-6 Lite on the far side.

I recently purchased a Point-to-Point Bridge made by Ubiquiti. It is a Nano Station LOCOM5 with an IP address 192.168.1.20. I want to be able to LOGIN to it so as to configure it. I *THINK* my laptops' IP address is: 192.168.4.136 -- Do I have to change my laptops' IP address in order to LOGIN to this piece of hardware?

Would I change it to: 192.168.1.xx??

Would I change it to: 192.168.1.xx??

Yes you need to basically connect it directly to your laptop (with the POE adapter of course) and configure you IP to that.

This seems like a pretty decent guide. It seems to work with my Windows 11 VM.

But you will probably want 192.168.1.25
subnet 255.255.255.0
gateway would probably be 192.168.1.1

After that I guess I need to change my laptop BACK to the original IP address?

Do I have to be hard wired into it or will it go wirelessly?

open a browser with the PC not connected to the internet but connected (wired) to the device and do the following:

1707074149083.png

Back
Top Bottom