ambergris caye trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubanurse

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello all,
Returned from Ambergris Caye last week and just wanted to post a quick trip report. We were in San Pedro from March 21 - 28 03. First trip there. At first we did't like San Pedro but after a couple of days we really started to enjoy it and will probably go back some day. The town of San Pedro is small. You can walk anywhere. Restaurants were a bit more expensive than we were expecting but everything we ate was very good. By the third day we had discovered the little street vendor stands, there are several right together. The food is very good and super cheap. Steak burritos for US1.50. Needless to say we ate there alot. There were also several grocery stores toward the north end of town that had good prices. Don't go to Rocks Grocery way overpriced! If you are a beer drinker selection is pretty much limited to Belikin, Guiness or Miller pony bottles. Belikin beer is pretty good especially if fixed with lime (like Corona). The cheapest way to buy beer is to go to the distributor and get it by the case. You have to pay a small deposit on bottles and case but it is still alot cheaper than puchasing in stores. We stayed at Aquamarina Suites which is right in town. Our room was actually a 1 bedroom apt with fully furnished kitchen including microwave and blender. The rooms are lg and very nicely furnished. All rooms have a balcony and overlook the pool and ocean. Wonderful place staff is very helpful especially Alberto.
We did our diving with Aqua Dives. We had heard that they were good. I regret to report that we did not find this to be true. If we had not prepaid for our dives we would have switched dive operators. The boats we were on were overcrowed, on several days we had 18 and 19 people on our boat. We never had the same divemaster, different one each day. They kept your gear at the dive shop after the first day and told us they would pick us up at the dock with our gear set-up and ready to go each morning. This was never true, each day we would get the boat to the dive shop and get out of the boats and wait while they tried to figure out who would be on which boat and tried to find your gear. Very unorganized. Gear was thrown into piles on the back of the boat on several days. Most of the time I had to have my tanks changed because I would only have 2500-2600psi to start. After a couple of days they actually started saying that 3000 is a full tank but in Belize 2700 is OK. Very frustrating. Most days we did not get back to shore until 130pm. Lots of restaurants close from 2pm-5pm so hard to find lunch at times. Enough about above the water lets go under. The diving was good even thoug h we dove a couple of sites the twice. Avg depth was 60 ft with vis 60-80ft.
Being a new diver this was easy diving and allowed me work on skills, dropped from 18 to 14 pounds and felt much more relaxed and comfortable with bouancy. Saw lots of soft coral. Very differant that Cozumel but still beautiful. Swam with turtle on one dive. On another dive the divemaster was feeding nurse sharks and actually caught one and rubbed it't belly putting it to sleep. Had a nurse shark follow me the most of one dive did't know it until we came up and my buddy told me. There are lots of lg grouper and jacks, they will swim right up to you. Also lots of trumpet fish but you have to look close or you might think they are seagrass. On one dive we had dolphins swimming around the boat. Unfortunatley they took off as soon as divers started getting in the water. Had one dive where the dive masters miscounted and thought they had lost a diver we all had to wait while they tried to find the diver who never existed! All in all we had a good trip and will go back. We will not dive with Aqua Dives. I contacted them to request to speak with someone about our concerns and they did not respond. This seems to me that they don't care very much about divers safety or comfort.
;-0

Hi, I'm going to Belize Saturday for a week of diving. How was the weather during the day and at night? Did it rain at all. The forcast shows that a cold front in moving through and it will be partly cloudy. I'm not sure about what they mean by cold. Were the seas calm or rough and did you get to dive the atolls or outer reefs?

Thanks for your report.

Dove with AquaDives off a cruise ship last year. Had much the same experience. Too bad. Sounds like the diving was okay not great. I'll stick to TCI, Little Cayman and Coz. Better luck next time!

I recently dove with AquaDives while on a cruise, but I didn't experience any problems. Actually I had a great time. The boat wasn't overly crowded and dive site was beautiful.

astrl

A&P,
The weather was wonderful while we were there. Temps were usually around 85-89 during the day and upper 70s at night. It rained only one evening while were were there. It would usually be cloudy in the morning then very sunny in the afternoons and evening. The water inside the reef was very calm and clear. Crossing over the reef was always pretty rough. The best advice is to get in the water and get down as fast as possible. The swells are pretty big and alot of people on our boat had problems with getting sick. I usually tried to hang around 10 ft while waiting to get on the boat as it was usually choppy on the surface. We did not go out to the atolls will certainly do that next time. Hope you have a great trip.:snorkel:

Hello to All,

I dove Aqua Dives in Ambergris Caye, Belize last year, April 2002. Boats were out of shape and at one point I had to loan my tools out of my Save-a-Dive kit for them to fix the boat. The Diving itself was ok but they over crowd for sure.

This year we went again. I thought I would give them another chance since the dive shop was so convienent to the Hotel we were at. Not really much better. The people are so nice but it just seems unorganized.

Don't trust them with your gear. They lost part of ours while we were there this time. Take it all with you, especially if you have invested in some high priced gear.

We have not dove with other operators down there yet but I have heard that there are others way better. We gave it a chance and learned. Hope this helps.

For a good dive operator in ambergris caye, use Pro Tech Belize. They are a small outfit with personal service.

We dove in San Pedro from March 9 to 13, 2003 and had a great experience. I'm ready to go again and again. It's all about the dive operator and hotel.

We stayed at the Blue Tang Inn (www.bluetanginn.com). Good quality rooms for Ambergris Caye. Remember, it's not Cancun you know. The rooms all have a kitchen and will sleep about 4 to 5 people. Decent pool and friendly staff. There is a grocery store one block away with most of what you need.

We dove with Amigo Del Mar (www.amigosdive.com) and they were fabulous. No doubt this is the best operator in San Pedro. They have a big boat and several smaller ones. First day was diving for our whole group of 20 on the big boat. Just a little crowded. Next three days were on a smaller boat with the same captain (Rene) and divemaster (Tony). These guys were great and I'm gonna ask for them when (not if) we go back there.

Our trip was arranged through Sea Sports Scuba in Houston Texas and was very enjoyable. Sea Sports provided two instructors who certified 10 divers for AOW while we were there.

By the way, NO I'm not paid by either of these outfits!!

:tree:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom