• Ambergris Caye

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Turneffe Island

Votes: 6 85.7%
  • Palencia

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about getting to the mainland and back from Turneffe just to do a site seeing tour. It's a bit far.

The Elbow does get a little current. Usually it runs north to south. Mellow most times. There was a time when I was there that it was moving kind of west to east and actually pushing out into the blue water, which may have been due to strong westerly winds. But this is a bit farther south than most of the dive shops take divers. The nearest permanent mooring where the divers go is about 500 yards north.
But the fish congregations are usually south of the moorings. There are times when I've seen 2000 or more cuberas, 150-200 dog snapper, 100 plus horse eye jacks, 50-100 permit, 40-50 spade fish and the occasional kingfish with some grouper on the bottom.....all at one time. Amazing.
Compared to the Philippines, which has 2 meter tides, there is virtually no current in Belize other than in the cuts in the reef where the water moves in and out with the tide. I think this is a good place for beginners.

First, I want to thank you all for your always wonderful insight and recommendations. I have found scubaboard members to always be very knowledgable and very helpful and this case is no different. I do have a couple of more things to add and questions if I may.
Aw, shucks. T'wernt nuthin. :coolingoff:

First, it appears to me after looking further that Turneffe is full of amazing diving and large pelagics (which is totally my thing.)

In my experience, there's not a lot of large pelagics except around the Blue Hole. One big exception would be the pod of Short Fin Pilot Whales we came across once. But you should see an fair number of turtles and rays along with the occasional shark. And Lion Fish galore. :(

One question I have is that my girlfriend's parents are going and are relatively new divers and I read that the Elbow is considered to be "advanced" diving. What exactly does that mean in layman's terms? Just some currents? I don't want to get them in a situation where they are in over their heads (pun intended). My girlfriend and I are also by no means experts but have had around 20-30 ocean dives a piece plus we have our AOW certifications.

Also, just in general, how "advanced" is Belize diving as a whole? We have been to Turks and Caicos, the Bahamas, and Grand Cayman thus far with no troubles so just curious.

I don't think of The Elbow as being an advanced dive. Just some currents, nothing major. If you're staying at TIR, your DM will take good care of you and yours. As far as Belize as a whole, as Hank said there's not a lot of current, viz is usually good to great and the water's warm. It's about as easy as it gets.

Finally, as far as Turneffe is concerned, we would like to do a day of seeing Mayan ruins and being in the jungle. Is it possible to leave Turneffe for the mainland or once we get there, are we there for the long haul?

It would be a full day commitment to get to the mainland and back from the atoll. It can be done, but you'll have to time it right. If you're staying at TIR, they run the boat to the mainland and back every Saturday plus Wednesdays if needed. There's no diving on Saturdays since that's the main guest transfer day. So if you stay for a week and a half or more, or if you stay a Wednesday to Wednesday, then you could go to the mainland, do whatever it is you're going to do, and just be sure to return to the dock by mid-afternoon to catch the boat back to the island.

Stuff to do on a one-day trip to the mainland: cave tubing, Baboon Sanctuary, the Zoo (no kidding, it's very cool), or Altun-Ha.

You could also do any of the above on the day you fly out if your flight's in the afternoon since they're all relatively close to the airport. Cave tubing would require a change of clothes afterwards, and there are shower facilities on site. But it's the furthest from the airport, and you would be cutting it close.

There's also the Lamanai ruins, but that's a full-day adventure and you'd never make it back in time.

Btw, if your thinking "jungle" like what's in the movies, you have to go further south, like Placencia, or west, like San Ignacio. Northern Belize, at least the area around BZ City, is fairly flat and somewhat swampy in places, at least until you get out as far as the Zoo or the Baboon Sanctuary.

Belize's diving is in general not advanced at all. The only reason the Elbow might be so described (though I wouldn't use that term) is that there can be a moderate current and it's a wall dive with all that that implies. But visibility is generally pretty good, the water is warm, and the current is only mild. You need decent self-awareness on any wall dive, and good buoyancy control, but assuming you have those you need have no concerns. I've taken near-beginner divers there with no problems.

That said, I am one of those people who is yet to be convinced of The Elbow's charms. I've been there a fair few times and never seen much of interest, whereas at Lighthouse I've generally seen lots.

As to viewing Mayan ruins, I think you should do that on either side of your Turneffe stay. I don't think you can "come and go".

That said, I am one of those people who is yet to be convinced of The Elbow's charms. I've been there a fair few times and never seen much of interest, whereas at Lighthouse I've generally seen lots.

I'm beginning to believe that the fish there are afraid of bubble blowers. I've seen it.
Come on down some weekend Peter, and I'll show you the Elbow. Be prepared to free dive it though. We can scuba afterwards and see if the fish stay.

Yeah, I'm sorry about that Downing. You have to come here. I launch my boat in that canal and Turneffe is about 24 miles and almost due east (85 degrees or so). Best if we go on my boat. I'll put you on the fish there.
My house is just off the upper right corner of the ponds.

389118_2444534884429_1583599415_2348187_1830445499_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom