Ambon or Anilao?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aleem.k713

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Planning a trip in September or October to either Ambon or Aniloa. Having a hard time deciding. Any help from anyone who has been to either and recommendations.

I loved Anilao in February 2016 , clear water , loads of nudis and other lovely things as well as surprisingly good coral and fish life. I went to Lembeh last February which was also awesome. I probably preferred Lembeh overall , the resort was better and the food way better, and the water was warmer but for us in Europe Anilao is way easier to get to.

Will be watching this thread as I am hoping to hit Ambon next February , perhaps withLembeh again.

Both are highly rated for having great muck/critter diving.
I've only done a few days in Ambon, but it was really great. I've done quite a bit more diving in Anilao and it's incredible also.
WWould you be pairing Ambon with any other locations in Indonesia or Anilao with any other locations in the Phillipines? That could be a deciding factor in my reasoning.

I've only done a few days in Ambon, but it was really great. I've done quite a bit more diving in Anilao and it's incredible also.
WWould you be pairing Ambon with any other locations in Indonesia or Anilao with any other locations in the Phillipines? That could be a deciding factor in my reasoning.
DF....hi ...where did you stay in Ambon ? Would you recommend it ? Did anywhere else look better ? Thanks

If I do Anilao I would go to puerto galera as well. Not sure where else I would go if I visit Ambon.

Tippy I dove with blue motion and stayed in a little hotel in Laha. If I went back I'd probably choose dive into ambon. Blue motion is a very budget shop, and the hotel they arranged also. I was going on a crossing trip thru Banda, following that up with a RA trip so I wasn't feeling to spendy.
DIA gets high marks on SB.
The dives I did in Ambon were awesome, and I only did about 6 in a very small area, and was really impressed. Unfortunately that was before the reappearance of the psychedelic frog fish that's been spotted lately but the other frog fish were off the hook, along with a great range of other critters.

If I do Anilao I would go to puerto galera as well. Not sure where else I would go if I visit Ambon.
Ther is a direct flight from Manado to Ambon , so anywhere in Sulawesi would work. There is a flight from Ambon to Manado with one stop somewhere. There is a direct flight to Sorong from Ambon for Raja Ampat. There is also a Lion Air flight to Bali via I think Makassar. This gives access to mainland Bali which has excellent great value diving , or Nusa Lembongan a boat ride away with mantas and Mola Mola , which are in season then. the Gilis have good diving but a very chilled vibe and a beautiful island.

Have been to both many times. Both are fantastic spots, but if you are going in September/October, that's not the best time for Anilao (more March-May), so if it's a choice between just these two, i'd go to Ambon. I always stay/dive with Maluku Divers who i highly recommend, and they have the advantage of being located right at the Laha muck sites and know them the best. I'll actually be back in Ambon at MD in mid September myself. Always hear nothing but good things about Dive Into Ambon as well although have never stayed there...with them i know you'd have more of an opportunity to dive the outside reef spots , where the focus at MD is going to primarily be on the muck sites.

Yea Ambon with a trip to nusa lembongan looks like a better move. Thank you guys for the advice

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom